Cleaning rusty FW bobbin case

Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

Rodney. I have a New Home I put a Singer crank on - Glenn showed me one he did. Mine came out very well - after work IF I remember I'll try to post about it. I think the 27 - 28 would be harder to do since the pillar slants a lot. I use steering wheel spinners on those. Kids LOVE it. Walter had a blast with an 8 ball spinner:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499645[/ATTACH]
He made a go of it - after a bit he REALLY had a good time of it!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499646[/ATTACH]
That 8 ball really fits the hand nice - the cheaper spinner knobs aren't near as nice to use but some of them fit the machines better. You have to be able to clear the bobbin winder. The spinner I got at NAPA works real nice on Singers.
Attached Thumbnails singer-27-refurb-refurb-005.jpg   walter-hard-work-007.jpg  
Old 11-20-2014, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Rodney, that 27 was drilled for a motor - the HC lines up and might even install with some coaxing but there is no way it will work - the hand wheel is too deep for the HC attachment. Spinner knob is what I know to do.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney
The earlier 27s and 28s don't have a motor mount boss for the hand crank.....
Rodney
You bring up an interesting question Rodney. While I agree that many early Singer model 27 machines were treadle-only and had no hand attachment boss, I’m wondering about the early Singer model 28 machines.

Were there some model 28s that didn’t have the boss?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 11-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

To put the HC on the New Home... The hole that came built in to the machine for what ever reason doesn't work at all. Mine came with a motor conversion. Someone mounted a motor on it - to do that they drilled two holes - then they put a motor and bracket on the machine. One of the holes previously drilled lined up the HC perfectly... BUT the HC didn't stay put. To remedy, DH put a screw in the top hole and it was just the right size to fill in the groove on the HC attachment and keep it stable. The machine isn't the prettiest but it works very nicely. It still needs a better base to hold it up. If you are working from scratch, you might want to locate where the HC needs to attach to be centered. Then put an extra hole enough above to stabilize the HC. I guess you could put one below just as easy. The reason we had to do that was - where the Singer motor boss protrudes the NH goes in.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499677[/ATTACH]
If you look VERY carefully you might see that screw that keeps it from shifting.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499678[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails new-home-hc-004.jpg   new-home-hc-008.jpg  
Old 11-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

another angle on the HC mount for the NH
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499679[/ATTACH]
note the groove where Singer has a built out motor boss.
Attached Thumbnails new-home-hc-006.jpg  
Old 11-24-2014, 07:57 PM

The bobbin case works just fine so I didn't do anything major to it. I actually gave it a very brief soak in warm water and Oxy-Clean, a light scrub with toothpaste and my fingers, got it all dried out and gave it a whirl. Works just fine. Now my poor abused FW has its own bobbin case and is sewing like a dream. I still feel sad that it is so battered looking, but happy to have rescued it. Thanks, everyone!
Old 11-24-2014, 08:35 PM

I think you will want to take the tension spring off the machine and clean under it. It will have held water after the soak and will rust worse.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
I think you will want to take the tension spring off the machine and clean under it. It will have held water after the soak and will rust worse.
I will say DITTO - the sooner the better - once rust sets in the metal can be pitted and there isn't much you can do with it.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:30 AM

Okay, will do! I hope I can figure out how to put it back together. I'm not quite sure where the spring even comes from. It's not going to go flying out of some tiny little crevice, is it?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:44 AM

iadhikari, the instructions for disassembling a bobbin case are in post 16. I posted them yesterday. Read and follow along and nothing should go wrong.