Cleaning rusty FW bobbin case

Old 11-27-2014, 08:55 AM

Don't own a Dremel! Maybe I need one. Black Friday ads...
Old 11-27-2014, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

I just wish I knew more what the Dremel is capable of doing. I use the wire brush for a lot of stuff now. On some things I just like a finer polish.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:22 AM

Miriam,

Go buy one. It is a most indispensible tool. I've two, both have been used so much they need to be overhauled.
I couldn't live without one.

You can get polishing kits with rouge to polish things. There are many many little bits and grinder stones, and brushes of all kinds for cleaning and polishing and other things.
Well worth the money.

Joe
Old 11-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

Joe, I have one - I use it a lot but I don't know what all it is capable of doing. I have mine plugged into a foot control. Love it.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by iadhikari
Don't own a Dremel! Maybe I need one. Black Friday ads...
Just make sure you get the Dremel brand ones. We've had the knock off brands and the Dremel brand ones. Dremels can be rebuilt like Joe mentions. The knockoffs - not always. Also I found that a lot of things that will stop the KOs dead, a Dremel will keep going one.

Originally Posted by miriam
I just wish I knew more what the Dremel is capable of doing. I use the wire brush for a lot of stuff now. On some things I just like a finer polish.
They can polish, cut, sand, shape and all sorts of other things. If you go look in the Dremel section of the hardware store, you'll see that there's not a lot they can't do with the right attachments and accessories. You can get drill press and router attachments, among others. Possibly the most versatile tool in our garage (and basement and shop). I think we have 4 of them. One KO which has been basically abandoned, one "house brand" one that works fairly well, and 2 Dremel brand ones. Sometimes the package deals that they have at various times of the year are cheaper than the accessories kits alone, and if I get a "spare", I can use a non-grease-marinated one and DH can marinate his all he wants.

Originally Posted by miriam
Joe, I have one - I use it a lot but I don't know what all it is capable of doing. I have mine plugged into a foot control. Love it.
I will have to try this! I'm sure there's a lot I should be putting on foot pedals...
Old 11-27-2014, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

I love the Dremel on the foot pedal. I feel like I have real good control.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:16 PM

Hmmm, can I lock my Dremel speed control to max then plug it into a sewing machine cord set? That just might be the ticket.

Joe
Old 11-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

I get a lot of control with the foot control rig - it's one off a clone. I also have a dimmer switch I can plug that rig into. I can go really slow or very fast. I learned that here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t243276.html

By the way I've been working on a very dirty old Singer 301. The bobbin case was dirty. The aluminum foil was the only thing that would reach it. I just shaped it and used a screw driver to swish it around in there and it came clean.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:13 PM

A gazillion years ago in a place far far away we used to aluminum foil to remove rust spots and general gunk from car wheels and bumpers. Worked there, so I don't see why it wouldn't work really good on the bare metal or plated sewing machine parts.

Joe
Old 11-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=ArchaicArcane;6986275]Just make sure you get the Dremel brand ones. We've had the knock off brands and the Dremel brand ones. Dremels can be rebuilt like Joe mentions. The knockoffs - not always. Also I found that a lot of things that will stop the KOs dead, a Dremel will keep going one.

My experience is just the opposite. I have a Dremel that worked fine for about 5 years til it didn't. I don't remember what's wrong with it. I Bought a no-name knock off set about 12 years ago that came with the flex shaft and all the doodads for $15 at Big Lots and it's still going strong.

Whatever the brand though, they are a handy thing to have.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 11-27-2014 at 08:16 PM.