Cleaning rusty FW bobbin case

Old 11-27-2014, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly
My experience is just the opposite. I have a Dremel that worked fine for about 5 years til it didn't. I don't remember what's wrong with it. I Bought a no-name knock off set about 12 years ago that came with the flex shaft and all the doodads for $15 at Big Lots and it's still going strong.

Whatever the brand though, they are a handy thing to have.

Cari
i wonder if your knock off was before the quality shift. The knock off we have is probably less than 5 years and from our equivalent to Harbor Freight. Any chance your dremel just needed brushes? DH has changed them a couple of times in his.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
Any chance your dremel just needed brushes? DH has changed them a couple of times in his.
I can't remember what the deal is with it. I seem to remember it gets real hot and slows down or something. I'll have to find it and check it out again, if I still even have it.

Cari
Old 11-28-2014, 01:51 AM
Power Poster

I did try the $$$$cheap Harbor Freight tool and burned it out pretty quickly - but it made me realize I needed a good Dremel. When it burns out I'll get another one. With the foot pedal I'm not going to worry about variable speed though.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller
A gazillion years ago in a place far far away we used to aluminum foil to remove rust spots and general gunk from car wheels and bumpers. Worked there, so I don't see why it wouldn't work really good on the bare metal or plated sewing machine parts.

Joe
Sure! I tried that this summer on our truck. I will never buy another vehicle with a "bright package". Chrome's a pain in our winters! It works with a fair bit of elbow grease for large areas, but for something like sewing machine parts, it would be great. I think I read somewhere too that it leaves a "film" behind that resists rust as well?

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly
I can't remember what the deal is with it. I seem to remember it gets real hot and slows down or something. I'll have to find it and check it out again, if I still even have it.

Cari
Might have been rebuild time. I was just curious.

Originally Posted by miriam
I did try the $$$$cheap Harbor Freight tool and burned it out pretty quickly - but it made me realize I needed a good Dremel. When it burns out I'll get another one. With the foot pedal I'm not going to worry about variable speed though.
Probably the same one That's a good point about the variable speed.