Clemens Muller MOP Hand Crank

Old 01-28-2015, 01:57 PM

Sounds right to me. Oddly, my Hengstenberg-Anker is the correct small size, and has a big wheel, gears within, with a flip-out crank -- but is a taller machine, so the base doesn't have to be carved out for the wheel. So it probably shouldn't be called a Saxonia.

Is there an official size range for half and three-quarter machines?
Old 01-29-2015, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gray fox

Is there an official size range for half and three-quarter machines?
I'm not sure. I thought I had read that the 3/4 size has a 12-13 inch bed. I am guessing then that less than 12 inches would be a half size?

***Todays update: I got that slide plate off finally! Wheeeeee!

I had to undo some parts on the underside to move the feed dogs so I could get more surface area to work on it. There is a small silver piece in the photo here on the bottom right. It looks like a tiny slide plate. Part of the feed dog mechanism slides underneath this plate. I am assuming it can come out?

The feed is working fine so I may not NEED it out, but it would be nice to move it and clean underneath.

Does anyone know? It looks like it has a tiny screw hole too but I haven't found a screw that would fit.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0889-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 04:35 PM

Christy, is this photo showing the stitch length adjustment mechanism? If yours operates by a knob which slides in an long, narrow opening on the base of the machine (right in front of the pillar) -- then, yes, it can come apart. All of the machines I've gotten with this style mechanism were woefully stuck. Removing, cleaning, oiling/greasing & reassembly were necessary. Even after this, the stitch length adjustment tends to be difficult.....I love these machines, but perhaps this wasn't one of the finest things in their design.

That said, I don't know that the small piece extreme bottom right of your photo is part of this mechanism. If you mean the plated piece, it doesn't look like its part of anything.....

Dianne
Old 01-29-2015, 05:04 PM

That said, I don't know that the small piece extreme bottom right of your photo is part of this mechanism. If you mean the plated piece, it doesn't look like its part of anything.....

Dianne
Yep! That's the piece I mean! The stitch length adjustment was horribly stuck but I've gotton that moving again. That tiny piece looks like a slide plate. I have a feeling it comes out so that the feed dogs can be removed to be cleaned or replaced. At this time though it doesn't move and there isn't the best surface area to try and get it moving.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:59 PM

Very curious! If you get it to move, or figure it out, let us know. I might be tempted to just clean the accessible surfaces, and let it go at that unless the need arises to move it. Have you put penetrating oil around it? A wood dowel gently tapped by a hammer?

Dianne
Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 PM

Very curious! If you get it to move, or figure it out, let us know. I might be tempted to just clean the accessible surfaces, and let it go at that unless the need arises to move it. Have you put penetrating oil around it? A wood dowel gently tapped by a hammer?

Dianne
Yes and yes. I'll let it sit overnight and then try again tomorrow. It's not a necessity for it to come out but I'm sure I'll mess with it while I clean tomorrow.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:38 PM

Dianne
I never got that part to move and decided it wasn't worth it.

I was excited to get started today, the end is in sight! After letting the shellac cure on the base for a week I was eager to go at it with the Bri Wax and steel wool. With the Shellac coating it looked garishly shiny. Luckily the steel wool and wax treatment mellowed the finish. The photo shows the before on the left-After on the right!

Another problem has cropped up so I have a question. The take-up lever is a bit janky like it's been through a lot. It has a slight divot on the top that I think is causing a problem. The problem is that with the faceplate screwed on loosely I can crank the machine, but if I tighten it down the take-up seems to catch at the bottom of the stroke.

There is a piece that rides on top of it. It appears to maybe? have something protruding from the end. Is this felt? leather? or some nasty gunk I haven't removed? I am thinking it could be worn down if it is something to cushion the lever.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails muller-base-640-x-426-.jpg   muller-take-up-divot-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0986-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 09:00 PM

Nope. That was not the problem. I'm still curious whether that is felt or possibly leather at the end of the adjustment knob.

The problem was that the needlebar was a teeny tiny bit bent. It was nearly impossible to see and I had to adjust it both front to back and side to side. Either someone gave it hell when it was frozen up or somewhere in transit it got dropped or thrown about. *I bought it from a shipping company.

It's cranking very nicely now. I'm not sure I should mess with it further. You never know...it could be at the 90% point...maybe one more good smack?

Or maybe I should leave well enough alone! Hmmmmmmm..
Old 02-13-2015, 11:08 AM

It's finally finished. This was pretty challenging for me. Not only was this machine frozen up, and missing parts, but being a model I am not familiar with made it harder and there is far less information and tutorials on these older machines. Once things were able to move it became apparent that some pieces were also bent so it was a lot to deal with. It is sewing and making a fine stitch now.

Here are just a couple pics of the finished product. I love those gears.
Attached Thumbnails above-640-x-426-.jpg   .-gears-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 02-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Banned

Awesome job! Welcome to the antique end of the pool!!!