Cleveland Treadle S/N 1269232C

Old 05-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Default Cleveland Treadle S/N 1269232C

I'm sorry everyone as I know this has been addressed before but I searched and searched and could not find anything. Today my neighbor called me from a garage sale and said there was a Cleveland treadle machine for sale for $10.00 and did I want it. Of course I said "yes" and now I can find nothing on this machine. It has a beautiful grape and leaf design and has "CLEVELAND" across the top of the machine and "Made in USA" on the side. The back plate is stamped with 1269232C which I think may be the serial number. I have turned the machine upside down and cannot find another number or identificaiton. I did find a lot of pumpkin seeds stored in the machine cavity! I am looking for instructions to remove the hand wheel so I can clean and remove thread that has been wound around it. I removed the two small screws but the wheel will not budge. I would appreciate any help you can give. An instruction book came with it which is really not much help - not even a manufacturer's name. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

It is no doubt a badged machine. You will need a bottle of Triflow - put a drop of it on each of the moving parts and any screws you want to remove. Let the Triflow do the work a few days before you try to take out any screws. Check in the Vintage photos and see if you see a machine that looks similar to yours: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t130994.html
Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 PM

I *think* Cleaveland machines were made by Standard Sewing Machine Company.... do you have a photo?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:11 AM

Thank you. I'll research Standard Sewing Machine Company and have my DH take a copy today. I have never posted a pic since the site changeover but I'll just read the instructions first. The machine is so different than my vintage Singers and I just cannot get the hand wheel off. Also it has a lever with a knob just under the bobbin winder which is supposed to go up and down a channel - possibly the stitch lenghth. Talk to you later because I know I'll be back!