Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Collecting tips to make this Singer 28K run >
  • Collecting tips to make this Singer 28K run

• Collecting tips to make this Singer 28K run

Old 12-09-2013, 08:26 AM

Looking for parts on-line. Found shuttle and bobbins. Also decals, but find them expensive and not operating required. And several similar machines in antique's shops; price ranges 90-200 €. Too expensive and too pretty just to get parts. Still searching.
    Another very useful site about Singer VS1, VS2, VS3, 27, & 28, Vibrating Shuttle Models

Before I post this message, I just came to an offer of an old Singer for 25€ (seems another 28 to me, with better decals). But my heart bleeds as I think of tearing it appart just for parts. What would you do?
    Old 12-09-2013, 09:11 AM

That's how collections begin. Have you tried ebay for parts?
    Old 12-09-2013, 12:40 PM

I'm not very familiar with e-bay. I don't know how to look there, I only find whole machines. The only website I found with parts is this one in the UK, and I'm not sure they sell to Spain.

But OMG this bug is an absolute disease! I've just seen this other Singer for sale within 2 miles of my house! It looks like a 15K to me. This is the picture:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]450981[/ATTACH]

I edited for I've just found one on e-bay.
    Attached Thumbnails singer-venta-castro-do-rei.jpg  

Last edited by lourixe; 12-09-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    Old 12-09-2013, 01:10 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by lourixe
    I'm not very familiar with e-bay. I don't know how to look there, I only find whole machines. The only website I found with parts is this one in the UK, and I'm not sure they sell to Spain.

But OMG this bug is an absolute disease! I've just seen this other Singer for sale within 2 miles of my house! It looks like a 15K to me. This is the picture:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]450981[/ATTACH]

I edited for I've just found one on e-bay.
    I fixed up one of those older Singer 15s. It was very heavy duty. Mine was very rusted up but it worked just fine when I was done. I'm thinking it was dated in the 1890s. Mine had a really heavy hand wheel on it. It sewed through a lot of thick layers.
    Old 12-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
    There is quite a bit of just metal with no shellac on my machine. Glenn, does that Linseed oil ever dry? Should that be wiped off or just leave it and do more shellac/linseed oil? Should I add more linseed oil to the machine before I use more shellac? How soon after I have used the linseed oil/shellac can I use more shellac? Does it need to dry out first?
    If you intend to use more shellac no need to wipe the oil off just use shellac with no linseed or just very very little. Usually you can use more shellac after about an hour. You can apply three or four coats of french polish with about 15 minutes between then wait a couple of hours and do more. Don't worry about the oil unit you are finished then wipe it off with naptha, all it will take is a very light touch of the naptha on rag to get the oil off. Then apply wax to bring back the shine. What I do at this point after I clean the oil off is to French polish with only shellac to make it shine. This polishing with only shellac is tricky so you may want to just wax. Are we having fun yet???
    Skip

PS boiled linseed oil will dry and cure but will leave a dull finsih on the machine so please remove it with naptha

Last edited by Glenn; 12-09-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    Old 12-09-2013, 01:44 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks Glenn. I'm hoping to get back out there and do another coat of shellac later. I have to make a big batch of chicken soup. The DGKs all are sick.
    Old 12-10-2013, 02:26 AM
    Power Poster

I did some more boiled linseed oil, shellac and boiled linseed oil polish on my machine. If you think like how you polish a shoe. You apply a little bit and rub it good. The old finish is not so rough any more. It is starting to look a lot better. It will never be perfect but a lot better is what I was aiming for. This machine is a good one for me to practice on since there is no monetary or sentimental value at all. It will sew when it is done. It has been a lot of learning. It is one thing to watch Glenn do it and another to try it for myself. I am learning to keep that fabric tight on my finger. I am learning that the old crinkles do smooth out. I think it is something to acquire a feel by doing over and over. At this point I don't really see as much difference as I feel a difference with each coat. I can feel that it isn't there yet, too. Maybe in a while I will go over it again. Oh and there are some advantages to having small fingers - I can get in tight areas.
    Old 12-10-2013, 02:40 AM

Sometimes things look easier than they are, huh.

CD in Oklahoma
    Old 12-10-2013, 02:42 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
    Sometimes things look easier than they are, huh.

CD in Oklahoma
    Well, how hard is it to polish your boots?
    Old 12-10-2013, 03:05 AM

I always looks easy when someone else is polishing them.....

CD in Oklahoma