Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine... >
  • Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine...

• Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine...

Old 02-08-2014, 05:38 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by mamaborne
    ....Tell me more about your Victorian machine. They are so beautiful, but I was not sure what they were like to actually sew on. I'm assuming yours is not pedal-powered?
    Treadle and hand crank. The link Here shows 80% of my collection or search for threads here that I started. I have machines from 1862 (Civil War) to 1888 in the primary collection. They ALL sew. (requirement in my mind)

I'm heading up to Fairfield CA tomorrow for a TOGA with a Jeep Cherokee full of hand crank machines... woo Hoo!
    Old 02-08-2014, 05:46 PM

Thanks, Vridar. Can I bug you with some more questions:
    - what is a blind stitch attachment? what is it used for?
    - can you recommend some 15 clones (brand names) so I know what to look for in my searches?
    The blind stitch attachment is a device attached to the needle bar in place of a normal foot for hemming. A pant cuff will normally be blind stitched. The stitch is straight for 3-5 stitches then zags normally left to catch a purposely folded hem by a couple threads. When unfolded the right-side stitch is nearly unnoticeable, hence, blind stitch.

The 15 clones come with various names but are so reliable and similar the name is inconsequential. I've found that most good 15s have a "Precision Deluxe" badge in addition to branded badge. It also usually has "Guaranteed by ......" whatever that meant. BTW, this machine cleaned up beautifully.

There is a thread pertaining only to 15 clones with pictures.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]461263[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]461265[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by Vridar; 02-08-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Add pictures and 15 clone thread
    Old 02-08-2014, 06:09 PM

Oh. My. God... There is an Elna Super, exactly like the one I have on CL, $200. Includes the table, the parts case (I had one too, but it was lost in our last move). Is that a great price? What do you all think? I *love* my Elna, but should I get something different for the 2nd machine? I'm liking this one because it has a the original case/table and the parts box... hmmmm.
    Old 02-08-2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar
    The blind stitch attachment is a device attached to the needle bar in place of a normal foot for hemming. A pant cuff will normally be blind stitched. The stitch is straight for 3-5 stitches then zags normally left to catch a purposely folded hem by a couple threads. When unfolded the right-side stitch is nearly unnoticeable, hence, blind stitch.
    The 15 clones come with various names but are so reliable and similar the name is inconsequential. I've found that most good 15s have a "Precision Deluxe" badge in addition to branded badge. It also usually has "Guaranteed by ......" whatever that meant. BTW, this machine cleaned up beautifully.
    There is a thread pertaining only to 15 clones with pictures.
    That is a beautiful machine.
    Old 02-08-2014, 06:41 PM

I'm going to list some options I'm seeing on CL. Would be curious to know what you think of the machines/pricing. Keep in mind I'm in NY, an hour of $$$Manhattan$$$.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/fuo/4282879221.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/for/4313230503.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/fuo/4323843996.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/fuo/4315855296.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/art/4316085550.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/for/4304198703.html
    Old 02-08-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH
    I'm heading up to Fairfield CA tomorrow for a TOGA with a Jeep Cherokee full of hand crank machines... woo Hoo!
    Sounds like fun
    Old 02-08-2014, 06:57 PM

That is a beautiful machine.
    Yes, and you'll find most are beautiful, inexpensive, built like a tank and put down a mean stitch. Below is one I picked up at an antique place for $25 with hard case, a few attachments and no repairs required. [ATTACH=CONFIG]461274[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 02-08-2014, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar
    Yes, and you'll find most are beautiful, inexpensive, built like a tank and put down a mean stitch. Below is one I picked up at an antique place for $25 with hard case, a few attachments and no repairs required.
    Yes, this is what I love about them. I think you could drop them and they'd still keep working, LOL. And the stitching is way better than modern machines, it just is.
    Old 02-08-2014, 11:32 PM

Mamaborne, it was fun looking at the ad links you sent!

I think it was Ron who posted some nice photos of a blue Singer clone and mentioned $25. I echo that - for less than $50 you should be able to get a very solid clone. (Look at my avatar! Sort of like the one Ron posted)

I would advise you against eBay and such, because shipping a machine is nuts if you don't have to do so, and as you are living well within a populated area, you should not need to order one from afar.

The $40 and $70 Singers on the ads you sent are, I -think- models that some people here really hate to work with.

I think the make-an-offer-Singer is one that is a solid good old one, and if you can get it cheep-cheep, might be great! But it will will probably need a good cleaning; are you handy like that? (If not, this board is great for talking you through stuff!)

Keep us posted! This is marvelous, all of us get to shop vicariously! :-)

p.s. I would say not to get the second Elna blue-top. Having something different is really fun!!!
    p.p.s. The freecycle offer? Wow!!!! IT sounds awesome!
    Old 02-09-2014, 03:42 AM
    Power Poster

I had one of the Elna SU machines for years until the motor died for the 3rd or 4th time. Those are one of the most precise machines you can buy - to be happy, repair it or buy another one. If you are just wanting something for straight stitch and save your Elna for the zz and fancy stitches you will want something you will like as much as the Elna. While not an Elna, for less than one service fee, a Singer 15 or one of the 15 clones are a good machine sometimes. They can be easily maintained yourself. If the feed dogs drop, they will do free motion where the Elna's are weak in that area. Here is a link for all kinds of info and pictures of the clones: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html I would be looking for one with a 1.0 or .9 amp motor if possible. Then buy a bottle of Tri-Flow and put a drop on each moving part.