Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine... >
  • Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine...

• Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine...

Old 02-09-2014, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by mamaborne
    Hey Ladies... and gents, if there are any...

My Elna Super had to go in the shop this week. Praying that it will be a simple repair.

In the meantime, I am seriously considering a second machine. Would like it to be vintage, as I'm a vintage kinda gal, and I've looked at new machines and - to be very frank - they appear to suffer from what I call CFCS (Crap From China Syndrome). Based on my experience with my Elna, nothing beats the machines from the 50s/60s even if yes, they are more expensive to repair sometimes, etc.

So... assuming there are other vintage machine fans here... if you were to buy (or grab for free on freecycle, craigslist, etc) a 2nd machine... what would you get? Are there any particular brands that made really great machines in the 50s/60s? My mother had a Singer, it was great and still runs like a charm but she is out of state.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, thank you!

Rachel
    Once you get addicted to these reliable older models (they are usually heavy as lead) you will never be able to stop at 2. I just purchased a beautiful Dressmaker and it makes #42 in my collection.
    Old 02-09-2014, 06:39 AM

If you are wanting a straight stitch machine for piecing and FMQing, I would recommend a Singer 15-91 or a Singer 301. You can do the maintenance on them yourself and can't beat the quality of the stitches. The 15-91 has a large harp space and great visibility for FMQ. The 301 has an aluminum body and is lightweight if you are looking for a machine to take to classes or guild meetings.
    Old 02-09-2014, 06:46 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by lovelyl
    If you are wanting a straight stitch machine for piecing and FMQing, I would recommend a Singer 15-91 or a Singer 301. You can do the maintenance on them yourself and can't beat the quality of the stitches. The 15-91 has a large harp space and great visibility for FMQ. The 301 has an aluminum body and is lightweight if you are looking for a machine to take to classes or guild meetings.
    The 301 will likely cost more.
    Old 02-09-2014, 10:34 AM

If I was going to seriously look at one, it would be this one. http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/fuo/4323843996.html
    It is an older Singers - the other Singers are Touch and Throws (Sew) - plus it comes with some accessories and a manual. Just my $.02 here from snowy Kansas.
    FYI: You just asked a bunch of enablers about getting a 2nd machine!! We'll help you find plenty.

Chris
    Old 02-09-2014, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
    I had one of the Elna SU machines for years until the motor died for the 3rd or 4th time. Those are one of the most precise machines you can buy - to be happy, repair it or buy another one. If you are just wanting something for straight stitch and save your Elna for the zz and fancy stitches you will want something you will like as much as the Elna. While not an Elna, for less than one service fee, a Singer 15 or one of the 15 clones are a good machine sometimes. They can be easily maintained yourself. If the feed dogs drop, they will do free motion where the Elna's are weak in that area. Here is a link for all kinds of info and pictures of the clones: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html I would be looking for one with a 1.0 or .9 amp motor if possible. Then buy a bottle of Tri-Flow and put a drop on each moving part.
    Thanks, Miriam. I am going to look at the Elna I mentioned earlier in this thread. Seller is negotiable on price. Also, it comes with the original table and the box of goodies (I lost my own in our last move @#(*&$!!!). I was thinking about this today, and I being as busy as I am, I don't really have time right now to get up to speed on a 2nd machine. That will come when my daughter is older... LOL... but a 2nd Elna seems like a good choice. If nothing else, I'd have the one I have now (that I got for free years ago) as a parts machine if it fails and the new one needs something.
    Old 02-09-2014, 06:04 PM

Thanks, Cecilia... I actually am leaning towards a 2nd Elna... but thanks for the tip on the Singers. I guess the best thing would be to test anything before I buy.
    Old 02-09-2014, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Once you get addicted to these reliable older models (they are usually heavy as lead) you will never be able to stop at 2. I just purchased a beautiful Dressmaker and it makes #42 in my collection.
    42?? lol omg
    Old 02-09-2014, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    If I was going to seriously look at one, it would be this one. http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/fuo/4323843996.html
    It is an older Singers - the other Singers are Touch and Throws (Sew) - plus it comes with some accessories and a manual. Just my $.02 here from snowy Kansas.
    FYI: You just asked a bunch of enablers about getting a 2nd machine!! We'll help you find plenty.

Chris
    LOL. I laughed out loud on your last comment. See, I knew I was gonna like it here... :P

Thanks for the tip, I saw that one and have it on my list as well.
    Old 02-09-2014, 06:20 PM

Question for you all: what do you mean when you say 'straight stitch'? Does that mean a machine that can't do zigzag?
    Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by mamaborne
    Question for you all: what do you mean when you say 'straight stitch'? Does that mean a machine that can't do zigzag?
    Yes. No zig zag no fancy stitches just straight and reverse (some model doesn't even have reverse). Having a second vintage is not enough once you learned the beauty of vintage machines. It's so addictive that you'll go from 1 to 2 to 3 and before you know it you have already accumulated 10 machines.