Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine... >
  • Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine...

• Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine...

Old 02-09-2014, 06:35 PM

[QUOTE=mamaborne;6563000]Hey Ladies... and gents, if there are any...

My Elna Super had to go in the shop this week. Praying that it will be a simple repair.

So... assuming there are other vintage machine fans here... if you were to buy (or grab for free on freecycle, craigslist, etc) a 2nd machine... what would you get? Are there any particular brands that made really great machines in the 50s/60s? My mother had a Singer, it was great and still runs like a charm but she is out of state.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, thank you!

Rachel

You can also check out the thrift stores. You might be surprised what is there??
    Old 02-10-2014, 02:39 AM
    Power Poster

There are two models of the Elna SU - if you get another one get one exactly like your old one - look at the big knob on the upper right - next to it is a square knob/long knob - either one will flip. Get the one with the little knob that matches your old machine - you will be happier and your parts could transfer.
    Old 02-10-2014, 04:11 AM

Pretty much can't go wrong with any of the 50's-60's singers IMHO.

The Kenmore's are robust also. I'm more to the singers for parts and prices, but I have a 158 Kenmore and its a good machine.

I only have 3: singer 319w, singer 328k and the Kenmore 158.1500

The 328k is an all around machine, but noisy. Its all gear drive though, which is a plus. Does double needle which can come in handy. Takes the same cams as my 319w (which came with a full set).

The Kenmore is pretty much a utilitarian tank, although it has a few cam selections as well.

My 319w is the favorite. It will sew whatever I can get under the presser foot. Thin undershirt stuff to 8 layers of denim to leather upholstery. Its one tough machine. I find it quiet and smooth, but some say it's noisy. Takes 206x13 needles so it limits your choices, although mine works fine with 15x1 also for some reason. Drop dogs, multiple cams and a "50's industrial look" that suits me just fine. Came in a singer model 65 desk.

All this goodness cost me 140 bucks. $100 for the 319w (didn't haggle, wanted it and thought it was a fair price for the boxes and boxes of stuff that came with it), $20 for the 328 and $20 for the Kenmore. The 328k and Kenmore they just wanted gone. When I hemmed and hawed about more sewing machines I didn't really need, they said take 'em for 20 bucks each or they go in the trash. Sold!

All found on kijiji (kinda like Craig's list for Canada).

Oh yeah: I'm a dude also. I'm drawn to the mechanical side of sewing machines more than sewing. I sew, but get more enjoyment out of working on them.

Last edited by great white; 02-10-2014 at 04:26 AM.
    Old 02-10-2014, 08:37 AM

Thanks, GreatWhite... great info. And I had no idea so many guys were into sewing/machines. I can totally understand being fascinated with the mechanical aspect.
    Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
    There are two models of the Elna SU - if you get another one get one exactly like your old one - look at the big knob on the upper right - next to it is a square knob/long knob - either one will flip. Get the one with the little knob that matches your old machine - you will be happier and your parts could transfer.
    I just noticed that the the knobs that flip are not the same. Thanks for pointing that out. Mine is the oblong-shaped knob, the one in the photo is square. So now I'm leaning towards this one, a Singer 306 with table, manual, accessories for $40: http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/art/4316085550.html
    Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by mamaborne
    I just noticed that the the knobs that flip are not the same. Thanks for pointing that out. Mine is the oblong-shaped knob, the one in the photo is square. So now I'm leaning towards this one, a Singer 306 with table, manual, accessories for $40: http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/art/4316085550.html
    ya do realize that was a link to an Elna for sale not a Singer.....
    Old 02-10-2014, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH
    ya do realize that was a link to an Elna for sale not a Singer.....
    Doh! Here's the link for the Singer, what do you all think?: http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/fuo/4323843996.html
    Old 02-10-2014, 10:58 AM

I like my Berninas 930(1985) and 1031(1992). The older machines that I also use are all treadles. Singers 201,15,115,15-90 and 237 zig zag, White Rotary(1917).
    Old 02-10-2014, 11:48 AM

The Singer 306 is a sturdy machine and will do the Zig-Zag for you. However, make sure no one has fiddled with the timing. Quite often others have attempted to use and make adjustments to use 15x1 needles. The 306 takes 206x13 needles. I've only known of one example where this was satisfactory. I'm currently procrastinating about retiming one that has been fiddled with.

In other words, take a cloth and test the machine. Look at the bobbin case. If everything is in sync there will be no needle marks on it. BTW, test first by hand operating the hand wheel to assure the needle is not hitting the bobbin case. Otherwise a very sturdy dependable machine and very heavy.

The cabinet is a plus.
    Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 PM

I'd be the first one in line for that 306--currently on my "gotta have it" list--and thanks for the info about the different needle requirements, you guys.....a friend of mine just bought one, and we aren't too happy with the noise it makes. I'll have her try to find a right needle, and get back to y'all. I wish I didn't live so far down here--I would have my DH in the truck right now going after it. Good luck, and welcome to this board. You'll learn to love us....