Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine... >
  • Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine...

• Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine...

Old 02-10-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar
    The Singer 306 is a sturdy machine and will do the Zig-Zag for you. However, make sure no one has fiddled with the timing. Quite often others have attempted to use and make adjustments to use 15x1 needles. The 306 takes 206x13 needles. I've only known of one example where this was satisfactory. I'm currently procrastinating about retiming one that has been fiddled with.

In other words, take a cloth and test the machine. Look at the bobbin case. If everything is in sync there will be no needle marks on it. BTW, test first by hand operating the hand wheel to assure the needle is not hitting the bobbin case. Otherwise a very sturdy dependable machine and very heavy.

The cabinet is a plus.
    I kind of doubt it was messed with, but we'll see. Definitely planning to take some material and test. Thanks for info, I thought it looked like a good candidate and good price at $40. I'm going to see if they'll take $30.
    Old 02-10-2014, 03:28 PM

The Singer 306 is a sturdy machine and will do the Zig-Zag for you. However, make sure no one has fiddled with the timing. Quite often others have attempted to use and make adjustments to use 15x1 needles. The 306 takes 206x13 needles. I've only known of one example where this was satisfactory. I'm currently procrastinating about retiming one that has been fiddled with.

In other words, take a cloth and test the machine. Look at the bobbin case. If everything is in sync there will be no needle marks on it. BTW, test first by hand operating the hand wheel to assure the needle is not hitting the bobbin case. Otherwise a very sturdy dependable machine and very heavy.

The cabinet is a plus.
    One question: is it hard to find needles for an older machine like this? Where do you get them, ebay? I kinda hate ebay, all the prices are so inflated.
    Old 02-10-2014, 03:29 PM

Another question: can I do FMQ on the Singer 306? I lost my case of accessories for my Elna, but would love to give FMQ a try soon. Eventually I'll purchase accessories (or a 2nd Elna with them in place) so that I can do that on the Elna, but trying to keep sewing costs down right now.
    Old 02-10-2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by mamaborne
    Another question: can I do FMQ on the Singer 306? I lost my case of accessories for my Elna, but would love to give FMQ a try soon. Eventually I'll purchase accessories (or a 2nd Elna with them in place) so that I can do that on the Elna, but trying to keep sewing costs down right now.
    I'm more of a machine person. I'll leave the sewing question for others. Needles are readily available at places like sew-classic.com. I wouldn't even haggle at $40. I'd slap a couple 20 s down, take the machine and run like crazy even if it is out of time and has small poxed bobbin case.

Last edited by Vridar; 02-10-2014 at 03:49 PM.
    Old 02-10-2014, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady
    I'd be the first one in line for that 306--currently on my "gotta have it" list--and thanks for the info about the different needle requirements, you guys.....a friend of mine just bought one, and we aren't too happy with the noise it makes. I'll have her try to find a right needle, and get back to y'all. I wish I didn't live so far down here--I would have my DH in the truck right now going after it. Good luck, and welcome to this board. You'll learn to love us....
    JoAnn, I did some googling and found a blog where they discuss the 306 quite a bit. The blog owner is not a fan, but you can get a lot of info on correct needles:

http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/...forgotten.html
    http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/...n-needles.html

Rachel
    Old 02-10-2014, 05:42 PM

I'd slap a couple 20 s down, take the machine and run like crazy...
    LMAO! You're funny...
    Old 02-10-2014, 06:15 PM
    Power Poster

I like the 306 machines. Just buy the right needles and have some fun with the machine. I had some trouble trying to do free motion on it though. I used the raised throat plate and I didn't have enough room for my fingers LOL kept getting hit with the needle screw.
    Old 02-10-2014, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady
    I'd be the first one in line for that 306--currently on my "gotta have it" list--and thanks for the info about the different needle requirements, you guys.....a friend of mine just bought one, and we aren't too happy with the noise it makes. I'll have her try to find a right needle, and get back to y'all. I wish I didn't live so far down here--I would have my DH in the truck right now going after it. Good luck, and welcome to this board. You'll learn to love us....
    JoAnn, I meant to ask... why do you like this machine and want to purchase one? Have you tried/had one before?
    Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
    I like the 306 machines. Just buy the right needles and have some fun with the machine. I had some trouble trying to do free motion on it though. I used the raised throat plate and I didn't have enough room for my fingers LOL kept getting hit with the needle screw.
    I have a 306 and can lower the feed dog Miriam. It's identical to my 319 except for the built-in patterns. Lowering it instead of using the cover plate would definitely give you more room. Is yours missing it's screw?

My local shop has the needles, but if they didn't I'd just buy a pack of 100 in each size. That'd probably last a lifetime!
    Schmetz have stopped making the size 16s last August, so wish I'd bought 100 before then. Got only 8 of these left.
    Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by manicmike
    I have a 306 and can lower the feed dog Miriam. It's identical to my 319 except for the built-in patterns. Lowering it instead of using the cover plate would definitely give you more room. Is yours missing it's screw?

My local shop has the needles, but if they didn't I'd just buy a pack of 100 in each size. That'd probably last a lifetime!
    Schmetz have stopped making the size 16s last August, so wish I'd bought 100 before then. Got only 8 of these left.
    DUH. It never occurred to me to just lower it since I had the plate I used the plate. Yup it has the screw. I think I'll try it again with just the dogs down and the darning foot see how I like it.