Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine... >
  • Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine...

• Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine...

Old 02-11-2014, 05:23 AM

Mamaborne? Well?!?!?!?!?! Did you get that lovely old Singer or what??!?!?

:-)
    Old 02-11-2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S.
    Mamaborne? Well?!?!?!?!?! Did you get that lovely old Singer or what??!?!?

:-)
    Seeing it tomorrow, taking my test fabric. Fingers crossed!
    Old 02-13-2014, 03:57 PM

If I can please join the discussion? I lost my 2 older Kenmore's, my Brother cs6000i and my Viking Emerald 118 to a tornado. I have managed to buy a Dressmaker SS2402 and received a free S3000AB. I have all the cams so I can interchange between each machine, the S3000 is in better shape. Anyone have much experience with either? Would someone be willing to to share your opinions on these, please?
    Old 02-13-2014, 04:23 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by lostsoulhelpmejebus
    If I can please join the discussion? I lost my 2 older Kenmore's, my Brother cs6000i and my Viking Emerald 118 to a tornado. I have managed to buy a Dressmaker SS2402 and received a free S3000AB. I have all the cams so I can interchange between each machine, the S3000 is in better shape. Anyone have much experience with either? Would someone be willing to to share your opinions on these, please?
    I am not familiar. My condolences losing your machines - you lost some really good machines. If they are older machines and all metal you should be ok. Keep your eyes open for some of what you had - at least the ones you liked the best. Don't be afraid to try out a different machine to see how you like it. If you don't have a lot of money into one you might get along just fine or you might be feeling free to sell and then get something else. I burned out a machine I dearly loved a few years ago and tried out quite a few machines I didn't like - then one day I found a Singer 401G in the trash and fell in love with the older slant-o-matics. Now thanks to QB I really like the antique machines - actually I'm liking just about any old metal machine better than some disposable plastic wonder. Some times I set up two machines - I like it if the bobbins can swap. I don't know if I would care so much if it swapped disks or not. I would be more inclined to set one machine up for a task whether zig zag or button holes or decorative and a good sweet fast machine for straight stitch. Maybe leave one set for free motion.
    Old 02-13-2014, 05:48 PM

Thank you for your advice miriam. The dressmaker models seem to be more similar to my Mom's 1st sewing machine from the 60's, a Singer, in a lot of ways. I am thinking they will be great for piecing as well as sewing on denim, canvas and other really heavy material with the right needle. I miss the Viking Emerald the most, probably because of it being a gift from my Mom but also because it is the best machine I have ever owned. My thought is to set one up for piecing and the other for repair of jeans and what not. I so appreciate your advice. :-)
    Old 02-13-2014, 06:01 PM
    Power Poster

EW I saw an old green Viking last week at the thrift store - I don't know if it is still there or what model - I thought they wanted an arm an a leg - I'll go look and see if they have it and at what price - I don't know what they are worth - I'm thinking it needed some TLC and attachments - maybe a cord, too so I passed.
    Old 02-26-2014, 09:41 AM

I posted an update, new thread
    Old 03-04-2014, 09:59 AM

Mamaborne . . . be careful. I originally have a 401 that a friend gave me and didn't know it was vintage until I joined this board. I started out buying an old White treadle because it was exactly like the one my grandmother had. Then I went to a 99 in a cabinet (one of the enablers from this site told me not to pass it up :-). It was all over from there. I had to have a hand crank, which I got (99K). Then I went to a 15 clone . . . and a 201 and another 201 and another 201 and then a 15-90. Oh, almost forgot about the 3 featherweights . . . and tables. This weekend I'm taking a road trip to pick up another 201 (I can't pass up anything in a cabinet that sews and is vintage for $50) and while I'm up north I'll probably ignore my better judgment and pick up the Rocketeer that's down the road.

It's slow going the first few buys but after that you just start moving furniture out of the house that you don't need . . . like the kitchen table.