Converting Back to a Treadle

Old 05-13-2023, 10:12 AM

Default Converting Back to a Treadle

Hi all, There is a Singer model 66 which was converted to electric for sale near me. The price is right, but I want to convert it back to a treadle. Other than removing the electric motor and adding a belt, is there any other step to the conversion? I found a website with instructions, but is doesn't mention anything about connecting the head to the treadle.

Thanks,
Shari
Old 05-13-2023, 11:23 AM

I put my 66 in a treadle base, and used it as a treadle, hand crank, and electric Very easy switchover. Happy sewing!
Old 05-13-2023, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by sschick
Hi all, There is a Singer model 66 which was converted to electric for sale near me. The price is right, but I want to convert it back to a treadle. Other than removing the electric motor and adding a belt, is there any other step to the conversion? I found a website with instructions, but is doesn't mention anything about connecting the head to the treadle.

Thanks,
Shari
Does it have a spoked or solid hand wheel? Generally the treadle would have had a spoked hand wheel. Some machines were converted to electric and left the spoked hand wheel. I know there was an issue as discussed on this thread 1921 Singer 66 Bobbin roller issue about the bobbin winder as there were different belt guards.

If you get a Singer treadle it should fit in if it has the hinge pins. They will go into the back bed of the machine and should have set screws to hold the hinge pins in place.

Good luck. Treadles are fun.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 05-14-2023, 02:12 AM

I don't need to worry about the conversion any more. I'll be getting a Singer 66 treadle (no motor) on Monday. All that machine needs is a little oiling and a new belt .
Old 05-15-2023, 08:11 AM

great good fun!! happy treadling