Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Cracked antique sewing machine pedal >
  • Cracked antique sewing machine pedal

• Cracked antique sewing machine pedal

Old 10-15-2023, 06:13 AM

Default Cracked antique sewing machine pedal

I recently bought an antique White FR treadle sewing machine. As I started cleaning the cast iron base, I noticed two bars/straps of metal (1 1/2" wide x 7" long x 3/16" thick) bolted to the top and right sides of the pedal - upon closer inspection, I saw that the pedal had cracked along the top right hand corner and someone (a long time ago) had added these straps. If I can, I would like to remove them as they will probably impact my pedaling. Any suggestions of a better way to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
    Old 10-15-2023, 07:43 AM

Since it came that way, I'm thinking that it probably will work fine. It has been a while since i have treadled, but I think I have my right foot towards me and my left on the back. I can't find the image of the position of the feet that I think was in a Singer book. Seems like the videos show either the right foot away and the left foot close or some will have their feet together on the pedal. I think would try it the way it is. There may be some way to fix the crack but I'm not sure I would trust just anyone to do it.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
    Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button. As shown at Standard Sewing Machine Co. Paragon

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap
    And how to use an ipad to post pictures can be found at Uploading photos

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
    Click on red "Reply" button
    Click on the paper clip icon
    Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
    Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
    After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Some additional notes -
    The photos generally need to be reduced to less than 2MB in size. I have heard of people sending an email to themselves as it will ask if you want to reduce the size.

I have an android phone and when I tried to reply on Quilting Board while in mobile view None of the options for adding pictures was available. However, there is an option down at the bottom left of the page that is for Full Site when I tapped on "Full Site" It then looked like the way it looks on my lap top. So it would have the Red Reply and the Go Advanced options.

Do Not Preview post.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-15-2023 at 07:45 AM.
    Old 10-16-2023, 05:29 AM

Default Cracked antique sewing machine pedal

Here is a picture of my pedal - the crack along the top right hand corner had been repaired a long time ago using the heavily bolted metal bars.img_20231015_103948_resized_20231015_104218443.jpg
    Old 10-16-2023, 06:42 AM

To the best of my knowledge, cast iron cannot be repaired (by that I mean it cannot be soldered, welded, etc.). I would see if it works as is. Another option would be finding a replacement part from another White treadle machine. I don't know if it's an option, but some handy man might be able to use something like JB Weld to fix it. That part is under a lot of stress/tension when it's being used, so that might not work. The last idea I had was to reduce the bulk of the "splint" with some other material.

I'll show the photo to a friend who is very "fixy". I'm sure he know a lot more than me. He can make most anything mechanical to work again.

I think the first step is to see if it works as is.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 10-16-2023 at 06:46 AM.
    Old 10-16-2023, 09:01 AM

Is the only crack the one at the top? I'm guessing there is a washer and nut only on the underside. Looking at it last night, I was trying to figure if there was some sort of pad that could go over to level out the top so that it was all the same height. I agree with bkay, to see if there was some sort of material to reduce the bulk. Also with the possibility of getting a replacement.

From my understanding, cast iron can be brazed but it takes some special tools/equipment and knowledge to do it properly. My brother taught my second cousin how to do it and some of the equipment at work has been brazed a long time ago and still working.