culture shock

Old 01-04-2015, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
Upside down? you mean that little bar goes toward the floor? I though you were suppose to push down with your toes - sort of like the older Singer pedals with the small button on the pedal. I started out using this pedal that way, but it was uncomfortable so I flipped it around to see if that would be better. Never even considered the bar went towards the floor . . . may have to try that.

With the foot pedal that way, I had very good control. I rested the ball of my foot on the flat part and then rested my instep on the bar, the raised and lowered my heal to control the speed. It's way easy to hold my foot at a specific level using my toe for balance.

Yes, you have it upside down. The bar goes on the floor:>
Old 01-04-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller
I have a computerized machine here. I don't know if it works or not as the instructions are so completely confusing I can not make it go. Just like my computerized cameras it takes many more steps to program the stupid thing than it does to just lower the presser foot and push the go button on a mechanical one.

I'm glad you're smart enough to figure out the convoluted controls, I can't.

I've decided I will not ever buy another computerized machine. NEVER ... EVER ... NOT ONE SNOW BALL CHANCE IN HADES. And I mean maybe! < Mom used to say that when she got mad at me ... it didn't make any sense then either .

Joe
Ha, ha...Joe my mom used to say "And I don't mean maybe"....​WE knew she meant business...
Old 01-04-2015, 08:29 PM

back to front, but not upside down, according to this:
http://www.sew4less.com/product/2283...for_model_info
Old 01-05-2015, 07:39 AM

I wish we were sitting around talking. Granted this is better than nothing, but ….

My father gave me his last gift in November. A horribly high end, computerized sewing machine that does everything but plan meals and has the most loused up manual I have ever seen ANYWHERE. There is a usual order for the parts of any publication - even manuals - and this one has no order but mixed up. One example: the index (section 10 of the manual, A-R) is found as the 4th area of the book; AFTER the cover page, the maintenance instructions and the trouble shooting section, BEFORE the table of contents and section 1, Getting to Know Your Machine. The rest of the index (S-Z; section 10 still) is in the usual place - the end of the book. The growling, hissing, snarling, etc. you have been hearing is me.

Since November I have made a pair of dress slacks for my husband on the machine, started piecing a quilt, done some repairs on clothing, made what Gram used to call antimacassars for DH's recliner, and discovered that the manual doesn't call things the same name throughout the book's instructions, forget the dratted index.

However, it sews well and I am becoming very fond of some of the nifty stuff it will do. My memory of my sainted Elna reminds me that it took some getting used to as well. (BUT, the Elna manual was in the right places, understandable, and exceedingly helpful. Blast Elna for selling out.) My suspicion is that with this new machine and my Singer 403 and the Bernina 1630 and the two servers I'll be able to make do. Probably because I am stubborn. A month, yes, a month, of classes starts on Tuesday. Lucky about that stubborn.

P.S.: My mother knew that "snow ball's chance in Hell" business too. Probably the reason my hair started to turn white when I was 17; I was usually the cross she was bearing.

Happy New Year, anyway.

Pat

P.P.S.: Anyone know why I cannot post anything or reply to anything using my iPad? My computer will post, etc. I've asked QB for help 3 times and never got an answer. One morning the iPad simply could not post. I got the message that I was logged in, but couldn't post a thing. I researched, fiddled, and did all the stuff one does when something like that happens. Other sites were fine. Just QB wouldn't play.

Sewing machines/computers. They are becoming more and more alike. Alas.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:20 AM

Computerized machines have advantages over mechanical machines but they don't outweigh (literally) the advantages of strength, power, reliability, DIY repairs, etc. of vintage machines. My purpose in life is to spread the Kenmore gospel.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:15 AM

MY DH gifted me a sewing machine for our 1st anniversary - coincidentally we also had tons of uniforms needing repairs, name tags and patches sewed onto them. I liked it because I had picked it out, It worked just fine for what I did, even survived several Army moves, until I got bit by the vintage bug. Then, it started to irritate the hell out of me because it didn't play as well as my older machines. DH is smart too. He told me to gift it away and be happy with my vintage machines. I did gift it and have not missed it. I have tried a couple of the newer Janomes with extra doodads and features but find them too high strung for me to be comfortable using them. I like machines that can take a licking and keep on ticking (as from the old Timex ads) and aren't bothered by cat hair, dog hair or the occasional cat playing with them as I'm trying to use them. I must admit that the price of the newer ones is also a bit off-putting.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
Upside down? you mean that little bar goes toward the floor? I though you were suppose to push down with your toes - sort of like the older Singer pedals with the small button on the pedal. I started out using this pedal that way, but it was uncomfortable so I flipped it around to see if that would be better. Never even considered the bar went towards the floor . . . may have to try that.

With the foot pedal that way, I had very good control. I rested the ball of my foot on the flat part and then rested my instep on the bar, the raised and lowered my heal to control the speed. It's way easy to hold my foot at a specific level using my toe for balance.
You have it upside down and backwards. Put the bar on the floor and away from your chair.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:30 AM

Tried the pedal the other way, didn't have the control so flipped it back over. I can get a very slow, even stitch with this machine with the pedal that way.

This machine is really fun for embroidery - however I still want to master the art of doing machine embroidery on a Singer 15.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:40 AM

It should be slanting up and away from you. Then you press down with your toes.
Seems like the bar thing pressing into your foot would be uncomfortable.

I enjoy my Pfaff 7510 from the late 1990's. Also like my Viking Quilt Designer II from around 2007 -- when it's working. Right now it has a problem.

The newer machines have a few features that I really like - needle threader, low bobbin warning, and thread cutter.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:58 AM

There should be a speed setting on your machine.