culture shock

Old 01-05-2015, 03:02 PM

There is a speed setting, but the directions say it only limits the top speed to half. It may already be set a slow - it sure is a lot slower than my more mechanical machines - but it's a good thing here. I don't need it to go any slower, I can easily do one slow stitch at a time this way. Great when I doing a 1/2" diameter circle, or an even tighter spiral.

It's not uncomfortable for me at all with the pedal that way, in fact I sometimes get a cramp pushing down with my toe. This way I can have my leg more straight up and down which is more natural for me. Now I wish I could flip my pedal over for the Viking - but I have to use my toe for that one as it's more conventional shaped.

Now, if I was piecing or garment sewing, I might feel it was better the other way, but I'm doing slow detailed work, following traced lines so I need my nose up to the machine or I can't see (tough getting older). I thought I might not like the machine sitting on top of the closed desk, as it puts it several inches higher than I'm use to working, but I actually like it.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:20 PM

Pat - I'm having the same problem with my IPad. My desktop computer works fine.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
....I thought I might not like the machine sitting on top of the closed desk, as it puts it several inches higher than I'm use to working, but I actually like it.
I discovered the same thing with the electric table-top machine that I use to mend jeans and sew-on embroidered patches. It’s setting on an adjustable-height, over-the-bed rolling table that I set high to keep sleeves and pant legs from dragging on the floor. At that extra height, I discovered that it puts the work area up where I can see it better and I don’t have to bend my shoulders over to get down to where I can see well.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-06-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
The IDT on Pfaffs and now Bernina and Babylock, because the patent is up for grabs, is awesome. I have a handful of computerized machines and even though I love my vintage machines, I really do love my embroidery machine and all the luxuries of a modern machine.
I agree about that IDT. I have a Pfaff 1171 which is a stinker to set up, and I call her Mrs. Fussy Pfaff. However, that IDT, especially when binding quilts, makes it worth it. None of my other machines - and I have over 30 - can bind that well.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by csharp
Ha, ha...Joe my mom used to say "And I don't mean maybe"....​WE knew she meant business...
Same here.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by w1613s
I wish we were sitting around talking. Granted this is better than nothing, but ….

My father gave me his last gift in November. A horribly high end, computerized sewing machine that does everything but plan meals and has the most loused up manual I have ever seen ANYWHERE. There is a usual order for the parts of any publication - even manuals - and this one has no order but mixed up. One example: the index (section 10 of the manual, A-R) is found as the 4th area of the book; AFTER the cover page, the maintenance instructions and the trouble shooting section, BEFORE the table of contents and section 1, Getting to Know Your Machine. The rest of the index (S-Z; section 10 still) is in the usual place - the end of the book. The growling, hissing, snarling, etc. you have been hearing is me.
I suggest you take the binding off your manual, reorder the pages as you think makes sense, insert empty pages here and there for notes, and either put them in a binder or take them to a place that binds books. It might take you a couple hours but will save you endless aggravation.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
Upside down? you mean that little bar goes toward the floor? I though you were suppose to push down with your toes - sort of like the older Singer pedals with the small button on the pedal. I started out using this pedal that way, but it was uncomfortable so I flipped it around to see if that would be better. Never even considered the bar went towards the floor . . . may have to try that.

You are actually quite creative, Macybaby. You are likely to discover lots of interesting things if you keep that up. ;-)

But yes, it is upside down - at least the picture I saw in the link. The bar goes on the floor and away from your body, toward your toes. At least, that is how it was designed to go. In the picture with your foot on it (I was distracted by your slippers and pants) you have it upside down and backwards. Turn it right side up and rotate it 180 degrees.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 01-06-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:33 AM

I too, have one of those "swear at it, not by it" machines. I have lots of mechanical machines and a Bernina 1130 and a 1230 that I love BUT I had to have a embroidery machine so bought a second hand Pfaff 2170 which causes the swearing. The book was obviously written by someone whose 3rd or 4th language was English. Of course, that person 1. didn't sew or embroider, 2. didn't understand the need for an index, 3.had no knowledge of the fact that the instructions on one page contradicted the instructions on the facing page, 4. was employed by someone who thought that there was no reason to have icons that somehow at least remotely gave you a clue what they were for, and wrote the book for the machine as dictated by a designer with the same above "qualifications" so made the machine communicate with the computer via a card. Designs go to the card from the computer and then on to an obscure "assistant" in the machine where it could be put into service IF you understood which "assistant" was to help you transfer the design to the fabric unless you touched one of the mystery icons.

Take lessons...not a chance. The local dealer won't give lessons even for pay but will help you to some extent if you haul in the machine, embroidery unit and your computer and your designs. I must tell you, lest you think that I am new to sewing, I have been sewing for over 70 years and often make clothing without a pattern and design a number of my quilts. I guess the technology has passes me by. By the way, I am learning to digitize and don't seem to have a problem with those icons and processes but then computers seem to make more sense than "computerized" sewing machines. I can even deal with Windows 8.1...never mind, rant is over. Thanks for your sympathy for my uncomprehending brain.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:19 AM

LOL I think your mom was saying ' I DON'T mean maybe'. No wiggle room when my mom put it that way. And here I thought it was a southernism.

I'm with you, no computerized machine, ever.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:42 AM

My mom said "and I don't mean maybe" also - and that was Minnesota - so not a southern thing for us!

BTW - I really wanted to simply show off my nice red sewing slipper. Jeanette Frantz made them and gave them to me when DH and I were visiting relatives in Florida. I'm one of those that can't sew with a shoe or even my firm sole slipper, I have to be able to feel the pedal. The slipper is perfect - easy to slip on and off and keeps my toes warm.