Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • "Deer in the headlights" everywhere in my quilt quild >
  • "Deer in the headlights" everywhere in my quilt quild

• "Deer in the headlights" everywhere in my quilt quild

Old 10-08-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH
    I am cleaning up my New Home handcrank and it will be living in my cube for times when I need to stare at something that is not electronic.... That should be fun....
    Great idea! I hope you get a chance to edumacate a few more curios persons. It will surely draw some attention.
    Old 10-08-2013, 08:51 AM

When I have taken one of my vintage machines to a quild guild class, I usually get attention if I take the purple Featherweight, otherwise there are a lot of vintage machines. I see FW, 301s, 404, Viking 6xxx, Kenmore 10xx, and more.

I'm taking 3 machines, two featherweights and an Elna Lotus, on a mini-retreat this weekend with a few friends. We are going to put together the blocks our group has made into a raffle quilt. 3 of us are quilters, we designed and planned this quilt but quite a few know a bit how to sew and made blocks. One of the other quilter gals is bringing two Janome Gems. I am sure they will all sew fine but if one of mine has a problem, I can work on it and figure it out. I don't know if the other gal could work on her Janomes.

I'm planning to take the Lotus with me on a trip to Florida in a couple of weeks, tucked into my carryon. Hubby is in a class all week and I'll be at the hotel with no car. I'm hoping for plenty of pool time but rain is possible too, and I don't want to be stuck with only reading on my kindle. I have a quilt cut out so ready to take along. I hope security doesn't freak out about the sewing machine. I'll put all the sharp things in the checked bag.
    Old 10-08-2013, 12:08 PM

Maybe " deer in the headlights" means different things, but I always thought it meant shock and fear. I can't imagine the quilting ladies are looking at you with shock and fear. Maybe curiosity, interest or even surprise. Personally, I'm impressed with people who can work on their machines! Good job!
    Old 10-08-2013, 12:21 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    Maybe " deer in the headlights" means different things, but I always thought it meant shock and fear.
    Same here, but I just translated it to that blank stare that says they are thinking "I don't get it....."
    Old 10-08-2013, 01:58 PM

Well, I am one of those sorta older women, and I love my vintage machines and I love my Babylock. I take my featherweight to sewing events and get the reaction of "That's the cutest machine ever, but I could never figure out how to use that." They don't believe me when I tell them how simple it is inside and out. The women in the guild are probably secretly envious. If you are a little out of the mainstream you have to expect attention for it. Just accept it in a positive way!
    Old 10-08-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH
    Same here, but I just translated it to that blank stare that says they are thinking "I don't get it....."
    That's exactly what I mean.
    Old 10-08-2013, 03:41 PM

Angry

One time long ago I got out the tools and repaired my MIL's oven door. Her son stopped by to help clean up and was gone five minutes later. Though she had rather nervously watched me all afternoon, she told everyone how great it was that HER SON had fixed her oven door. Things never got better with those folks.
    Old 10-08-2013, 04:25 PM

Red Squirrel, I know that deer in the headlights look (and yes to some of the other commenters, some give more of a blank stare).....I'm 42 and the youngest by far. Some of the ladies are thrilled with me and some treat me like an interloper. Oh well.....
    Old 10-08-2013, 04:31 PM

Not about a featherweight, but I used to work as an election judge in A VERY small township where the other judges were often 3+ times my age! I think a lot of it is amazement that you, being so incredibly young (enjoy it!), share interests with them.
    Old 10-09-2013, 04:50 AM

They really don't have a frame of reference for what you are enthusiastic about. Be patient and demonstrate intense pride in what you do and be ready to share at any hint of understanding. They may have stories about old machines if you are ready to listen.

One of my older friends said very matter of factly, I never considered working, that was his job.