Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Is this a desirable model of singer >
  • Is this a desirable model of singer

• Is this a desirable model of singer

Old 11-02-2013, 07:45 AM

I live in California and the asking prices are mostly high here, some people will negotiate and some will not budge, no call back yet so it's probably already been sold...
    Old 11-02-2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer
    Again...is that asking price, or selling price? There are many high priced machines, but no one buys them, and they can often be bought for less in a month or three. Ebay prices are higher because out of millions of viewers, there are bound to be some with deep pockets....(or no sense). I only keep an eye on CL prices, however.
    We in the boonies don't have the CL option. Rarely do I find a good buy within 100 miles of us. Our purchasing options are more limited. Selling option-the same.
    Old 11-02-2013, 05:41 PM

Well, he finally called back and said it was being sold as is head only. Firm on price.
    Old 11-02-2013, 06:11 PM

I spent a lot of time as a batchelor and tend to think of luxury items and toys (more than one or two sewing machines moves them into the luxury/toy category to me) in terms of beer money. $50 works out to 2 cases of good beer and the machine will outlast the beer by a good long while. I don't think $50 is an unfair asking price. Especially here on the west coast where truly old stuff can be a bit harder to find.
    That is one thing I'm beginning to realize. With very few exceptions there seems to be almost no interest in these old sewing machines. You can pick up some pretty cool machines for next to nothing. Shipping will often exceed the selling price of a complete machine if bought online. I just bought a running Singer 66 in the original walnut cabinet for $20 at my local Goodwill. All it needed was a bobbin and a few drops of oil. You can't even buy the hardware in the cabinet for that these days. I wonder how long these rock bottom prices will last before people once again realise these things have value and interest increases. Hopefully I will have all the machines I want before that happens.
    Rodney
    Old 11-02-2013, 06:13 PM

I'd say it is worth $50. It is a true antique. Also not that common. Clean very carefully!
    Old 11-02-2013, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz
    Well, he finally called back and said it was being sold as is head only. Firm on price.
    In my opinion, it is worth $50 plus for the head only. You just don't come across a Fiddlebase that old that often. The decals aren't great, but they are good for the age of the machine.
    Old 11-03-2013, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney
    I wonder how long these rock bottom prices will last before people once again realise these things have value and interest increases. Hopefully I will have all the machines I want before that happens.
    Rodney
    Been collecting for only a short time. I think prices already are appreciating. If the transporting costs were not prohibitive, we could turn some profit. Oh, well, I still like playing with them, using them and fixing them. The networking with like minded fixers/collectors is also worthwhile.