Determining value of....

Old 01-09-2015, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
HHHMMMMM Around this Quilting Board you can expect to pay $25 or less for a VERY nice working sewing machine with all the accessories, an original manual and a pristine table or case especially if it is a Featherweight. If you believe that I have a bridge to sell.....
Heehee! I paid more than that today for some goodies and have my eye on something else that will def. be more than 25.00. They don't ALL come cheap, not even the beasties that need work!
Old 01-10-2015, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
HHHMMMMM Around this Quilting Board you can expect to pay $25 or less for a VERY nice working sewing machine with all the accessories, an original manual and a pristine table or case especially if it is a Featherweight. If you believe that I have a bridge to sell.....
Miriam, before I got to your last sentence, I was thinking, "Where have I been?" Apparently in the wrong place! HAHA, you got me!
Old 01-10-2015, 06:07 AM

Well, thanks for the heads up....I guess, from your response I really got rooked when I bought this way back then and paid $200.00 for it.....I will just oil it again this year, polish the beautiful woodcarved drawers and put my collection of music boxes on top. Fortunately, when we do have power outages they last less than an hour.....and if they were long lasting, I have enough other things to do rather than sit in a dark place peddling. I learned to sew on my moms that way........
Old 01-10-2015, 08:19 AM

if you have been happy with your purchase, don't let opinions on value here change that.
The only thing that determines real value is what the seller is willing to sell for and what the buyer is willing to pay.

filling our homes with things because they were cheap or free is not good stewardship of our time space and life.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:12 AM

you may well have gotten a very good deal on it, you haven't posted a photo.

10 yrs ago sites as C/L where just becoming known and used. In 1969 a singer plain jane In nice working condition was worth $125, today the same set up is worth the same. Go up to a machine with nice wood appliques ( carvings ) the value might go up.

problem with resale is your computation ( C/L adds ) take my area with in a 150 miles area, every day there will be 20 / 30 adds listed. 10 + will be treadles ranging from 20$ to 500$.

You paid $200 for yours. I can buy a $20 machine + $40 for gas + $40 materials to refinish. and end up with a $500 machine ( in my dreams) O did I say add in 400 hrs worth of labor. Now the final finish on the wood add another $75 in material.

now that $20 machine just cost me $175 out of pocket ( your time is worth not a penny)

If I listed those machine refinish in this manner on c/L at $175. I doubt very much they would ever sell. You have to know if a buyer did look they would hit you for a $125 sale and want the roll of thread with the deal.

so I just lost $55 and at the $175 was giving it away.

Thats the reality behind the $25 machine.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx
you may well have gotten a very good deal on it, you haven't posted a photo.

10 yrs ago sites as C/L where just becoming known and used. In 1969 a singer plain jane In nice working condition was worth $125, today the same set up is worth the same. Go up to a machine with nice wood appliques ( carvings ) the value might go up.

problem with resale is your computation ( C/L adds ) take my area with in a 150 miles area, every day there will be 20 / 30 adds listed. 10 + will be treadles ranging from 20$ to 500$.

You paid $200 for yours. I can buy a $20 machine + $40 for gas + $40 materials to refinish. and end up with a $500 machine ( in my dreams) O did I say add in 400 hrs worth of labor. Now the final finish on the wood add another $75 in material.

now that $20 machine just cost me $175 out of pocket ( your time is worth not a penny)

If I listed those machine refinish in this manner on c/L at $175. I doubt very much they would ever sell. You have to know if a buyer did look they would hit you for a $125 sale and want the roll of thread with the deal.

so I just lost $55 and at the $175 was giving it away.

Thats the reality behind the $25 machine.
Yup and a big AMEN to that...
Old 01-11-2015, 07:34 AM

To xxxxxxx....so if your logic is accurate....why then do all of you here buy , clean up, spit and polish, the machines you travel to buy and accumulate....just to say you have them? Is it an obsession....? I'm curious, not critical......I have several " collections". Namely, paperweights, pin cushions, China cup/saucers, depression glass....and a few more, but theses are small, in curio cabinets, and I can and do resell easily. But you are saying old s/m are sellable only to others in that genre and only at "cheap".......again just trying to get things into perspective here. But, I guess you may be right about no one wanting to "buy" old at antique prices......I have a FW that is languishing, because I don't want and neither does anyone else, unless I "give it away".........
Old 01-11-2015, 11:43 AM

.I have several " collections". Namely, paperweights, pin cushions, China cup/saucers, depression glass.

You may think these would sell now, try it sometime. you'll sell some yes. lucky if it's as much as 5% of what you have.

I have a collection of cat figurines , I know every well there is a good $10.000 invested there , it's not worth a dime. sure a figurine I paid $54 for would sell, but at 2/3$ even with it's original box and certificates

you'll find 90% of those collecting are retired, so we are old very old. It's the cool factor, 40 years ago we were broke and cool, now there some money and we are still cool, so the junk we like way back when, is still junk today and we can buy it.

ever say I always wanted one of those , Butt !!!! ............. well now we can have it and still say BUTTTTTTTTTTTT when I die it's value will be $20 less than I paid

all these things you mention , time after time you see that boxed and goes to the dump or G/W. then......... ones like myself and this Fred I talk about he and myself have houses that are locked up, those houses are still full of this every type items that belonged to a love one. never to be sold or dumped.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Geri B
To xxxxxxx....so if your logic is accurate....why then do all of you here buy , clean up, spit and polish, the machines you travel to buy and accumulate....just to say you have them? Is it an obsession....? I'm curious, not critical......I have several " collections". Namely, paperweights, pin cushions, China cup/saucers, depression glass....and a few more, but theses are small, in curio cabinets, and I can and do resell easily. But you are saying old s/m are sellable only to others in that genre and only at "cheap".......again just trying to get things into perspective here. But, I guess you may be right about no one wanting to "buy" old at antique prices......I have a FW that is languishing, because I don't want and neither does anyone else, unless I "give it away".........
It's not just about finding them cheap, though that's a bonus when we do. There are many of us here who have paid more for a certain machine we really wanted than it's really worth just because we had to have it. It's everything all added up together. The thrill of the hunt for a certain model we want, the satisfaction of bringing an old neglected machine back to life and sometimes making it pretty again, the good feeling when the machine makes it's first stitches in years, sometimes decades. For some of us it's just a hobby. For some it's an obsession. Just like any other collector. Just like any other tinkerer. You talk about your collections as though you look at the monetary value first. We know our collections aren't the inheritance our children want, unless they have the same love of the machines that we do. Mine don't. We love the machines, it's as simple as that. As for your FW, that little machine will always be a hot topic. Their popularity ebbs and flows somewhat but they will always have a following. Prices for them are always all over the place from free up to ridiculous. Someone here on the board just had one given to them. Maybe you're asking too much for your area, or for the condition. There are a few of them on my local CL that have been there for a long time because they're priced too high for the condition they're in.

Cari
Old 01-11-2015, 12:51 PM

an other of what happen to me via old machine, American History, world history, ancient history egyption times. so educational value, other than sew machine history via having these old ones.

I live in O&C lands = oregon Calif rail roads lands, abandoned RxR tunnels ( caves) huge adandoned road in the mountains never finished, a life time of wonder what took place, In school years and people living here now, It was because of a race to see which RxR co. could get a RxR to the coast first, this one lost .

totaly untrue , a cover up. to keep those living from knowing what really took place, keeping a secret as to why the huge landowner have that land now in todays world and back then.

Egyptian graphics on these machines. ever really look at those ? Aaaaaaaaaa the colors used that are very faded. what about the lotus ( I paid a 100 for a unused lotus) why ? it's not very pretty, in fact very plain looking, doesn't even really look like a lotus flower. What is a lotus ? why use a sticker bush ? what did a lotus represent, This is still unanswered. The are lotus flowers on the wall in Egyptian tombs , also used in ancient China (Hmmmmmmmmmm )

why did ol Ike singer travel the world via a Boat ride, and set up manufacturing in country's that hadn't even seen a metal nail. to sell singer MOP fiddle beds to people living in grass huts ?

what was and what is singers other hobby

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 01-11-2015 at 12:57 PM.