Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Dirty but loaded with possibility >
  • Dirty but loaded with possibility

• Dirty but loaded with possibility

Old 08-08-2014, 07:57 PM

I just worked on a New Home that looked exactly like that today. Does yours have the rubber pulley that presses onto the hand wheel, to turn the machine? The one I worked on today did, and it had 2 dents in the rubber, which made it bang around something awful. Had to smooth out the rubber, and got it running smooth. I was surprised at how lightweight the machine is.
    Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 PM

Pat,

These are not that rare, from what I've seen. I think I saw one on the Sew Classic website. I just ordered some stuff and I think I saw the walking foot on that site. it's sew-classic.com.

Jeanette
    Old 08-12-2014, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine
    I just worked on a New Home that looked exactly like that today. Does yours have the rubber pulley that presses onto the hand wheel, to turn the machine? The one I worked on today did, and it had 2 dents in the rubber, which made it bang around something awful. Had to smooth out the rubber, and got it running smooth. I was surprised at how lightweight the machine is.
    Yeah it does have the rubber pulley that rubs against the wheel.
    Old 10-12-2014, 04:24 PM

I am new to this site and was wondering how I can ask you how to locate a nose cone for a Rocketeer Singer 503a. The top tab on mine is broken. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Old 10-12-2014, 04:30 PM

Welcome choclab! I think that's a pretty common problem for those, that or the top cover is missing. Your best bet would be to watch the usual sources like Ebay for a replacement. Is it possible to repair yours? I haven't looked at one in person so am not sure how they go together.
    Rodney
    Old 10-12-2014, 05:08 PM

Here's a link on how to fix one. It's a pretty common problem. If you are unable to fix yours let me know. I may have a spare around here.

http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/...ge-repair.html
    Old 10-13-2014, 12:54 PM

I have a New Westinghouse that looks identical to your New Home. Can you tell me what size needle yours uses. My needles are 1-1/4 (just a hair shy of) inches...my newer machines have a longer needle...Singer Futura/Brother, etc.

I need needles for mine. I love how they sew.
    Marge

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew
    I had a decent day out yard sale-ing. I've been waiting for the Salvage Shop down at the dump to be open ever since I picked up my Singer 500A. It needs a few donor parts and I thought I had seen another Rocketeer before. As it turned out it was a 503A and it was still there. I haven't plugged it in but it's loaded with parts. In fact it's so complete I am tempted to try and restore it on it own instead of using it as a donor. I'll know better once I have time to clean it up and test the motor. *It also has an extra face plate.

Donor parts needed for the 500A would be the cord, the top, the tension device, a spring and a screw. It appears to have them all. The only thing off would be the info card on the inside of the lid. I was able to get it for 10.00.

I also couldn't resist this gold New Home. It had a nice box full of rotary attachments and some needles in the side compartment, but no cord. Still, how could I pass it up? It's gold!

Both machines are really dirty. The Singer is downright gross, but for 10.00 a machine I expect to get my hands dirty.
    Old 10-13-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew
    That is exactly what it is. OK thanks for letting me know. You've saved me all the legwork. I'm not actually fussy about authenticity so far as wiring goes, so I had thought I would likely use a cord block for this one.

Hmmm well the local thing didn't pan out, but I am happily cleaning up the stinky 503. A quick test showed me the motor works so what was a parts machine may well be a complete 503. I can't complain about that!
    I showed Joe's picture to my husband and he brought me something that looks similar to an old slide-rule. It says NEMA Wiring Device Selector, NON-LOCKING TYPE, Straight Blade Devices". Across the bottom it says "Hubbell Wiring Device Division, Bridgeport, Connecticut 06602"
    He wrote this for me:
    "Hubbell Plug #9977-C
    Connector body #7088
    Single Receptacle #6810
    20Amps 125/250Volts
    3pole/3wire
    Old 10-13-2014, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by elnan
    I showed Joe's picture to my husband and he brought me something that looks similar to an old slide-rule. It says NEMA Wiring Device Selector, NON-LOCKING TYPE, Straight Blade Devices". Across the bottom it says "Hubbell Wiring Device Division, Bridgeport, Connecticut 06602"
    He wrote this for me:
    "Hubbell Plug #9977-C
    Connector body #7088
    Single Receptacle #6810
    20Amps 125/250Volts
    3pole/3wire
    After playing around with the Hubbell website, I realized you could google any of those part numbers by inserting HBL before the part numbers, such as HBL9977-C for the 20amp flat blade plug. they do have a 66 pg. pdf catalog
    Old 10-14-2014, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by margecam52
    I have a New Westinghouse that looks identical to your New Home. Can you tell me what size needle yours uses. My needles are 1-1/4 (just a hair shy of) inches...my newer machines have a longer needle...Singer Futura/Brother, etc.

I need needles for mine. I love how they sew.
    Marge
    Hopefully someone else can help you with that one. There is a "guide" right on the front of the machine showing correct needle length. Others had made suggestions to just grind down a regular needle to size. I didn't realize when I bought it that it would take an odd size needle or I wouldn't have grabbed it. For now it has been pushed to the back of the hoard in favor of working on a more favored machine. I am sure I will get to it in time but I personally favor machines that make my life easier by taking a standard size.