Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Do I need a darning plate with dropping dogs ? >
  • Do I need a darning plate with dropping dogs ?

• Do I need a darning plate with dropping dogs ?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:22 AM

Does the 306 use the flat Singer cams? I'll keep my eyes open for some though the tophat style turns up more often around here.
    Rodney
    Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 AM

Rodney, yup the 306 is a flat cam machine. HMMM yes I could use a cleaner plate with smaller holes I seem to mostly straight stitch with it anyway.... if I see another set of throat plates come up I may just go for it . Thanks all!

Last edited by greywuuf; 05-06-2015 at 07:19 AM.
    Old 05-06-2015, 07:24 AM

Manicmike, yes my 306 treadles beautifully, I have really enjoyed it. looking to do more with it soon. might even try to source a spare bobbin case and try the mod on it as the addition of standard needles would go a long way towards making it a main machine... that and I may try it in my later white treadle base.... my singer one is early with a wooden pitman arm and I have never been ale to adjust the lower end of it and it still makes an annoying "Clunk" the white base I have is a ball bearing unit an I bet it would be real pleasant.
    Old 05-06-2015, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf
    Manicmike, yes my 306 treadles beautifully, I have really enjoyed it. looking to do more with it soon. might even try to source a spare bobbin case and try the mod on it as the addition of standard needles would go a long way towards making it a main machine... that and I may try it in my later white treadle base.... my singer one is early with a wooden pitman arm and I have never been ale to adjust the lower end of it and it still makes an annoying "Clunk" the white base I have is a ball bearing unit an I bet it would be real pleasant.
    I was reprimanded twice on the Yahoo groups for mentioning the BC mod. Someone who admins several groups is dead against this and sent me a personal email asking me never to "mutilate" one of these cases. Ahem, I had my OSMG modify another two about an hour ago. These machines are designed to do everything, and you can't do everything with only sizes 12 and 14 needles.

One thing that goes wrong with the swing arm machines (206/306/319/320) is that the hook timing goes out. There are two screws holding the BC holder in place, and if you loosen them even slightly the bobbin case will spin freely without any needle movement. You can see why it goes out! Also, if the timing's out by just the tiniest bit you'll notice the stitch quality plummet and the needle might even start hitting the bobbin. I'd imagine that sewing very heavy fabrics or not tightening the screws sufficiently would allow it to wander so I'd advise learning how to time it and to check this each time you service it.