Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Do you have a checklist for when you buy a used machine? >
  • Do you have a checklist for when you buy a used machine?

• Do you have a checklist for when you buy a used machine?

Old 08-07-2017, 10:25 AM

Finding shuttle, needles and minor parts is a challenging, yet rewarding endeavor. I have learned so much by researching alternative needles, collecting parts catalogs, Boye cases, conversing and sharing information with others.

While I prefer attachments, it is not a stopper if one foot is on the machine. Same regarding manual.

As for handcranks, I love all of them especially transverse shuttles, Saxonias and other German machines. I love to collect Treadles that were not made in America, meaning they came over with families, "on the boat". Not easy to find, but I currently have four. I try to find treadles I do not have, but my wants of Davis VF, Eldredge Two Spool, Standards with spider for chainstitching, Willcox and Gibbs treadle, 3/4 size handcrank/ treadle combo, dual feed industrial and regular foot industrial have all been found! 301 long bed portable check, 301 table check, , I love Japanese clones and improvements with drop feed and backstitch as well as colorful 50's machines. I am in the process of converting one blue machine to a handcrank.

Any condition is feasible, but I have only a few door stoppers. I have been working on one Handcrank machine since 2010. Have finally gotten the stitch length working, but still can not get the slideplate to move. While I love pretty decal, it is not a must, but it depends upon the model and make. I recently found gorgeous decals.. badged RH Macys!

My current project, almost finished and been going on for almost a year. The decals on this Minnesota for Sears were very nice, yet dirty and fragile. Under the handwheel, you would not have known there was even a decal, it was so black. I cleaned it, choices were black/dirty or silvered I went for silver and then did my best to repaint and laquer it. The cabinet (Oh yes and I love small parlour cabinets!) had already been redone. I paid a lot for it, but felt it was worth it. Now unfortunately the top veneer partially popped off.

Sorry to go on and on. Guess my passion is showing!
    Old 08-07-2017, 01:51 PM
    Power Poster

Maria, your collection sounds fantastic!!!! Do you have any pics anywhere on the board?
    Old 08-07-2017, 06:01 PM

For me, it's more a balance. How much do I want it? How nice is it? How much does it cost? How hard are the parts to get? Can I do it or do I have to send it out? Do I already have one?

I've often made the mistake of buying one I wanted that was not in good condition because it was not that expensive. A $65.00 Pfaff 103 is a good example. It probably needs more attention than I have time for. So, it's still sitting here gathering dust.

So, my balance has gotten off more than once, but maybe you will learn from my mistakes.

bkay
    Old 08-08-2017, 10:09 AM

Sue... You caught me. I have many pics on my computer, but have been remiss in the last year and a half at least. I also have not elected a single site to store them. Since I have to use a regular camera & computer I am behind. Also most of my machines are yet to be worked on. I have had multiple surgeries on my fingers, wrists and elbows as well, that affects what I can do. If there are specific ones you would like to see, let me know.
    Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 AM

Sue, you might like to look at some of mine. There are some nice ones among the mundane.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...653-page1.html

Maria, sorry for your challenges.
    Old 08-08-2017, 11:48 AM

Thank you for your concern and thoughts .
    Oh, you have a great collection. Your Kohler makes my heart flutter!!!
    Old 08-08-2017, 12:14 PM

It is a sweetie. It was 30 miles away and I was knocking on their door within hours of their posting it on CL. Changed my work schedule to get it.

And wait till you see my W and W I got this weekend. Curved needles anyone?
    Old 08-09-2017, 07:39 PM

Is it interesting? Can I sew on it? Do I have room for it? Can I figure out or ask how to fix it? How complete is it/can I make it? Does it belong to any of the accessories I have? Is DH nearby? (if so, circle back for it later!)

Boat anchors, 99% of electric machines, and trashed cabinets are usually deal-breakers. Only the first two are etched in stone, the rest are sort of flexible. I have a partial 66-1 boat anchor I used to fixed Hazel, my 1918 red eye. The Household has a frankencabinet with parts from a Margurite and some JB Weld. The Free doesn't have a cabinet and so far I haven't found one in the style I want that is both mechanically and furniturally sound.

In other words, I gots lots of machines!

Last edited by Treadle&Gears; 08-09-2017 at 07:43 PM.
    Old 08-10-2017, 08:10 AM

Are there different 201's?????
    Found another. See this thread.
    Cabinet has its issues, but it met 2 criteria... treadle from overseas and 201-1, which was on my wish list.
    Old 08-10-2017, 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=leonf;7882695]It is a sweetie. It was 30 miles away and I was knocking on their door within hours of their posting it on CL. Changed my work schedule to get it.

Funny, did the same thing yesterday and snagged a FW. They had tried to return a call to a previous person, but I was the first live call. I win.