Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Do you kids want vintage sewing machines? >
  • Do you kids want vintage sewing machines?

• Do you kids want vintage sewing machines?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:49 PM

Default Do you kids want vintage sewing machines?

I was just reading a post that got me to thinking about my own kids.

When my daughter wanted a sewing machine (she is now 30) she asked me to find a vintage one for her. I immediately thought of the Bernina Record 830. It took me a few months to find one but when I gave it to her for her birthday she was sooooo happy. She loves that machine and hasn't had a single issue while using it. It always works perfectly. We have an agreement that if she decides to part with it, I will get first dibs on buying it!

My son recently asked me to pick out a vintage machine for him. I found a wonderful 403 in a cabinet with a matching stool and all of the extras on CL in the state that he lives in. He too wants a machine that will do what he wants it to do when he wants it to do it. Although he really liked the machine, he said he had better wait until he is out of his small apartment which should be in a year or two. So, he accepted some vintage vinyl for his birthday gift this year instead. This is fine with me; it means I get to go shopping for a machine for him again in a few years!

They both wanted a machine that could do zig zag and a blind hem but beyond that they didn't have a need or desire for all of the bells and whistles. Perhaps in the future they'll want a modern machine but I know their first priority will be that it can handle what is thrown at it. I do like my Bernina 440QE a LOT but I usuallly use one of my vintage babies for straight stitch duties.
    Old 06-04-2014, 07:17 PM

lol! My daughter has no big interest in vintage or new! She is happy I have a machine and after mending the strap on her shopping bag this morning had "threatened" to bring me more work lol!
    Old 06-05-2014, 03:04 AM
    Power Poster

Mine has a 1980s Viking and won't use anything else - I hated that machine... Her kids all love the vintage - they hang out with me.
    Old 06-05-2014, 05:28 AM

My #1 stepson bought himself a Singer 500a to make things. He's a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism. #2 stepdaughter says she has a treadle, but I doubt she uses it, and #3 stepson apparently has no interest in sewing.

Joe
    Old 06-05-2014, 07:33 AM

My 6 and 8 year old grandchildren know which of my vintage sewing machines they get to take to their home when they are 10 years old. They sew on them when they come visiting. My other vintage machines are earmarked for my other grandchildren. If they don't want them when they are older I will ask them to give them away, not throw them away.

BTW, I have a Bernina Record 830 that I bought brand new in the 70s. And, you are right, it is a workhorse, always reliable.
    Old 06-05-2014, 08:04 AM

I do the bulk of my piecing on my Bernina 830 Record (Craigslist find) and quilt on an HQ Sweet Sixteen. My 13 year old son is fascinated by both the old and the new - at quilt shows he spends time test driving long arm machines and gazing at Featherweights. Recently I found a reasonably priced Featherweight on Craigslist for him. And I will teach him to use the HQ SS as well (no room at our house for a long arm).

Cheers, K
    Old 06-05-2014, 08:18 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by J Miller
    My #1 stepson bought himself a Singer 500a to make things. He's a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism. Joe
    So am I. In fact it was the desire to be able to sew for the SCA that got me looking at old machines in the first place.

He should look at a 29-4 and something like a 241. We made a pavilion top with 18 flat felled seams that were 9 feet long using a Riccar.... THEN we got the 241..... OH what a difference. We used the 29-4 for LOTS of armor, straps, and pouches and the like until I got the Politype. I had folks from miles around coming over to use that patcher.

Now my Apprentice has the 29-4. (so folks can pester him) If you mention this to your Stepson, tell him the advice comes from an Armor Laurel.
    Old 06-05-2014, 11:20 AM

My daughter wants my white Featherweight.......she has named it. I think my boys both want a machine when they get a place of their own. They know my thoughts on the new plastic ones. All my kids can sew if they need to. My daughter also makes quilts, pillowcases etc...
    Old 06-05-2014, 01:21 PM

All we have are vintage machines. I've already given a couple to my 10 yr old daughter. I'm hoping she's learning that new isn't always better.
    Rodney
    Old 06-06-2014, 04:15 AM

Both my grandmother and mother were beautiful seamstresses. I have loved to sew forever and shared many happy times with my mother sewing. None of my children however appear to have inherited the sewing gene. If I hadn't given birth to them I would question if they were truly mine. How could it not be that at least one of them have gotten the sewing gene? I do have a daughter-in-law that is learning to sew so I'm having lots of fun with her when we are together. I have four vintage machines - 2 1970's era Vikings and 2 Singer Featherweights. I have no idea what will happen to them. I do have two granddaughters (age 1 and 3) and maybe I'll live long enough that they will be of an age of sewing and can pass them on to them. Hopefully the sewing gene can skip an generation and still be strong.