Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Dumb, Dense, or just getting old? >
  • Dumb, Dense, or just getting old?

• Dumb, Dense, or just getting old?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:19 AM

Lightbulb Dumb, Dense, or just getting old?

OK, I am about to expose myself here. Finally got my 301 cleaned up and oiled. DH did it for me. It worked great, once I cleaned all the oil off, (DH is agressive with the oil). Checked it out and left it set a day or so. Well, last night I decided to use it and got it all set up and ready to go. I got a long birds nest on the bottom. After checking it over, rethreading, all that stuff, I tried again. Birdsnest. I got checking it over and found that the little dohicky thingy (don't ya love it) that is supposed to fit up into the notch on the bobbin cover was not in its spot. I spent several minutes trying to figure out how to get it back in there. After all, it came out, shouldn't it go back in? RELUCTANTLY, I called DH to the rescue. His first question, "what makes you think it is supposed to be there?", to which I reply, "it is the sister to the FW and that is how we had to fix the FW after oiling, Do you remember". Well, after several minutes of back and forth, and repeating that phrase, "it is just like the featherweight", A big bell went off in my head. DAH, it is just like the FW, and I loosened the plate, slipped the dohicky in, tightened the plate, and wala!!!!! She sews such a beautiful stitch!!!! I think she is going to be my favorite. At least when I am using her. Cause I like my 201 when I use her, too. Now, if I could get the FW to behave herself I could get on to the other thirty some old ladies sitting around waiting their turn. Well, thanks for listening. Sometimes I can be so.......... Can't think of the word..............maybe some of you can fill in the blank!!
    Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
    Sometimes I can be so.......... Can't think of the word..............maybe some of you can fill in the blank!!
    Observant? Sounds to me like you found the problem quickly!

My spousal unit likes oil too...a lot....too much... sometimes takes awhile to get it to stop dripping down the needle and onto the fabric.
    Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 AM

Persistent? You kept going until you figured it out! Great job. I bet it felt great to get it figured out!

Pat
    Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 AM

Good job. glad you have her working. Love the old Singers.
    Old 01-16-2012, 08:15 PM

Did you download a copy of the original manual from sew-classic? The manual makes it very clear about that little prong needing to be placed exactly in the notch. Thank goodness. I'm glad you found it on your own.
    Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 PM

LOL !!! don't we ALL do 'it' Funny storie: I was at the store with my MIL shes looking for a suplment keeps looking finely I say what is it? She says I can't remember! its spose to help me with my memory! I said how long have you been taking it? Oh about 1 year. LOL we both Cracked UP!!!
    Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 PM

Great job!!! With the older gals (the machines, not us! LOL) sometimes it takes some trial and error to figure them out. But they wouldn't be such fun if they weren't some amount of challenge, hunh??? :-) Good goin'!!!
    Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Glad you got her going good. 301 is my favorite machine to sew on and take to workshops.
    Old 01-17-2012, 05:18 PM

I was there!!!!! It cracked me right up. I sure am glad I'm not the only one having moments!!!! LOL!!!!!
    Old 01-18-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
    OK, I am about to expose myself here. . Well, thanks for listening. Sometimes I can be so.......... Can't think of the word..............maybe some of you can fill in the blank!!
    Hello my 'twin O' in Michigan.....My Brother calls this a "Loss of Cabin Pressure" which comes more frequently with each subsequent birthday we celebrate!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]304197[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails onalee-tomato-pin-cushion.gif