Favorite oil and grease?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 AM

Default Favorite oil and grease?

What is your favorite oil and grease for your vintage singers? Singer brand? Im also a little confused on how to lube the motor and what to use?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:48 AM

Singer machines =
Oil: .......................... Singer oil, a good clear machine oil, or Tri-Flow
Motor lube: ............. Singer motor lube. It's a little tube of grease that's getting hard to find around here.
Gear and fork lube: ..Tri-Flow synthetic grease.

To lube the SINGER motors with the little silver grease ports: Stick the tip of the grease tube in the hole and squeeze till it's full.
To lube the potted motors, remove the grease port cap, clean out the old grease then stick the end of the grease tube in the hole and fill it up.

Joe
Old 04-18-2012, 10:08 AM

Thank you thank you thank you!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

I use the Dritz Zoom Spout oiler for all my machines. I like that the long spout pulls out to reach all the little hard to reach spots on my Singer treadle. I also use a drop on the bobbin hook when my Bernina requests oiling. For more intensive oiling and maintainance, I send my Bernina to the dealer.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller
Singer machines =
Oil: .......................... Singer oil, a good clear machine oil, or Tri-Flow
Motor lube: ............. Singer motor lube. It's a little tube of grease that's getting hard to find around here.
Gear and fork lube: ..Tri-Flow synthetic grease.

To lube the SINGER motors with the little silver grease ports: Stick the tip of the grease tube in the hole and squeeze till it's full.
To lube the potted motors, remove the grease port cap, clean out the old grease then stick the end of the grease tube in the hole and fill it up.

Joe
Yesterday I was looking for Tri-Flow and ran across this ad for Liberty Oil which is a USA made product. Have you used it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Best-100...59160284063819
Old 04-18-2012, 01:00 PM

Linda,

No, I've not used it. I don't get to eBay that much any more and I guess I miss a lot.

Joe
Old 04-18-2012, 02:58 PM

I can't say enough good things about Tri-Flow oil and grease. A few months back I bought a 1915 Singer treadle that had been sitting around a LONG time. I oiled it with Singer Oil and Singer Lubricant and I got it working. I thought it was doing pretty well and then I tried the Tri-Flow products and the difference was amazing. I can tell you that it was MUCH easier to treadle after the Tri-Flow!
Colleen