Featherweight 221, 1953

Old 08-23-2013, 02:45 PM

i paid 350$ for my 221 but every thing was there. i would try to get some money back to buy the things you need to sew. at least 50$ have fun with when you get the things you need for it
Old 08-23-2013, 03:52 PM

I may be making a trip in very soon. She really is in good physical condition and the shop did respond right away the next day with a belt--although I had found one at a shop much closer and let them know that, they offered to credit me for the expense, which I really appreciated. They were very apologetic.

I followed a You-tube on getting the belt on, and that was no problem. Hoping to be in business, I got everything threaded up. I used the screw off of my 401 and found a low shank straight stitch presser foot amongst all the treasures I received when I bought my 401 and desk off of Craigslist (she must have kept her presser feet all together).

Unfortunately, it runs very slowly and I cannot get the thread from the bobbin to thread on the material with the top thread (ie, its not stitching together).

I turned it off and will give it fresh eyes in the morning, decide if I am going to take it in (probably) or try to see what else needs done.

And the motor is wobbly.

I do have to remember it is under a warranty, so they had it working at one point!

Just frustrating, only because I want SEW with it
Old 08-23-2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by quiltgal
This is the original box. But, did you get the little accessories holder that fits over the two screws on the left side?
Parts are readily available. www.thequiltgal.com
Do you mean a double hook like thing--that looks like it is going to grasp something? Yes, that is there and seems to be part of the problem. Still can't get it all to fit together quite correctly.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:53 PM

Mdaniels, don't have buyer's remorse - you are going to love her! We all have different thresholds, different disposable incomes, etc, and some of are more/less happy paying higher or lower prices for things. So if for you, in your area, this felt like a good price, go with it and don't feel bad!

Others have pointed out that the shoppe ought to supply you, free of charge, with the belt and the presser foot screw, and I would agree with that. It is odd that this was missing, as it means they/you could not have test-sewn on it. That said, whatever. You will get it up and running one way or another, and you will love this little stitcher.

Enjoy!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
In the bottom of the box, and yours looks like it's likely original, there are 2 ledges. One on the left and one on the right. More often than not, when the machine hangs up the tray, it's because the right side of the machine is still sitting on top of the ledge. The machine needs to nestle between the two ledges. You'll get it so it's natural to reposition it before you even try to put the tray on it.

I'm surprised the shop let it leave without a belt! The presser foot screw, I can almost see, but either way, they're owed to you. You should also ask if they have the accessories box it should have come with. Maybe you won't have to put anything extra out for feet. For the price you paid, I would have thought that should have included the accessories box too. No, you didn't overpay. Here, that's about the going rate for a Clean serviced fully outfitted machine.
Only one ledge on the bottom.

The man half of the store, who apparently does the trade ins and refurbishings, was not in the store. The woman half sold the machine to me and tried to call him (he was apparently on the roof somewhere, I think it was her husband) before I left about it not fitting in the box, but did not get a hold of him. I will keep trying, I just don't want to break anything on it.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:22 PM

If you love '' her '' ,,,you did Not pay tooooo much .I love all of mine,, some cost more and some were a tiny bit less but to find one, well you know the drill . They were made to last and they are so cute . Enjoy and be glad she came into your world . She is beautiful and in very good shape .
Old 08-23-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mdaniels
Only one ledge on the bottom.

The man half of the store, who apparently does the trade ins and refurbishings, was not in the store. The woman half sold the machine to me and tried to call him (he was apparently on the roof somewhere, I think it was her husband) before I left about it not fitting in the box, but did not get a hold of him. I will keep trying, I just don't want to break anything on it.
Sorry, my mistake. The 222 case has 2 ledges, the 221 case has one. In this case I would say that you might have the left side siting on top of the ledge. Just slide the machine little to the right and it should seat low enough. It looks like your case should have the little box that sits on the left side of the case to hold accessories, not the tray that spans the entire top of the box, is that correct? (It would be period correct for it to look that way) The double hook thing is to hold a can of oil. If you have the full sized tray, it won't fit together correctly.

If you have the larger tray, that may be why it doesn't fit right.

It sounds like the motor belt might be too tight. It's a small little motor, and any drag will slow it down. Loosen it til it slips, then tighten it a tiny bit, just so it stops slipping.

The motor should tighten to the body of the machine via the screw for adjusting the belt. Or is the shaft that goes through the motor wobbling?

The motor being loose, the presser foot and screw missing, and the belt missing, I would ask what -was- serviced on the machine. Yes, you have a warranty, but you shouldn't be using it so soon. They're hardy little machines once you work these little things out though.

I will say that these little machines were designed so that people can work on them themselves. There's nothing you've described yet that you can't deal with yourself, with the exception of the tray, because it sounds like you have the wrong one.

Not picking up the thread is 95% of the time because the needle is in backwards. Needle Flat Left. It will look like the throat plate when inserted correctly.

Turning it off with just the switch on the front of the machine simply turns the light off. It's still plugged in and "on". Singer and many manufacturers recommend unplugging the machines when not in use. I imagine that turning the switch on a power bar is enough too.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:48 AM

Do an internet search for Nova Montgomery and read her archived newsletters. You will learn so much! She sells parts too. Aprils1930.com also is an excellent source for info and parts. Did you receive a manual and oil with this little beauty? Both are MUST haves.The manual will answer all of your service questions. She's a beauty! I would have paid that (if there was meaning to the year, etc.) and I already own nine of them.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:52 AM

I've paid more than that (I have 4 of them ) but would have loved a 1953 version because it is the year I was born.

I highly recommend Dave McCallum's book "The Featherweight 221 and I". He also has a DVD but the book alone is worth every penny. It will save you from any costly trips to the repair shop for things that are EASILY fixed at home. His book is easy reading and the illustrations are superb. Check out his website an blog!

Most of all, I just want to tell you to not get discouraged by the few problems that you've encountered so far. Once she is up and running you will love it!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:03 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate the suggestions! Hopefully I can get her running well to pack up for vacation next week. I think the tray is too big, as you suggested.

the shop owners have gone to a Janome conference for a few days. When they return and when I am back from vacation, I will go back out and talk to the man who serviced it to see if there is a different tray and some other feet that his wife was missing when she sold it to me.

im not discouraged yet, but there does seem to be a problem with the motor not being anchored to the bottom as it appears it should be.