Featherweight 221, 1953

Old 08-28-2013, 04:55 PM

She's beautiful! Congratulations! I'm sure you will love her. I don't think you overpaid for such a beautiful machine.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:20 PM

When I put mine in the box I have to tilt it a little to get into the box. The attached table should be facing the machine oil can holder on the bottom of the box. Wiggle it a bit to get it seated correctly. There are 3 different boxes. One with no shelf for attachments, anther w/half of a shelf and mine which has a full shelf with a hole for the thread holder that sticks out of the machine.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pat M.
When I put mine in the box I have to tilt it a little to get into the box. The attached table should be facing the machine oil can holder on the bottom of the box. Wiggle it a bit to get it seated correctly. There are 3 different boxes. One with no shelf for attachments, anther w/half of a shelf and mine which has a full shelf with a hole for the thread holder that sticks out of the machine.
This one has a full shelf with the thread holder. The clip for the oil can is screwed to the upper left back corner. Really, the machine fits down into the box just fine but the tray does not sit in a fashion that allows the box to close. I believe as mentioned earlier in the thread that it is not the right tray for the box.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
No, she won't run as fast as a 401. .40A vs .80A I think? Nor will she pierce as much. The belt should looks loose. It's got to be just tight enough to not slip otherwise it will put too much load on the motor, make the motor hot and burn it out.

Yes, you can use TriFlow oil and gears anywhere on the machine that you would use oil or grease usually EXCEPT in the motor! The grease tubes in the motor need to have either the brown or clear Singer lube or Vaseline. There's a "new" formula out there that's White, and the general conscenus is that it shouldn't be used. I haven't seen it yet. All my supplier has is the brown stuff. I think you're not in Canada, so I don't have a good source for you. If you were in Canada, I would offer to help you out.

In fact, if you give her a Tri-Flow spa treatment, she'll love you for it.

The oil in the singer can is fine as long as it's still clear and smells like oil. If it's turning brown or smells rancid, it's no longer good. But if you have TriFLow I would use that first every time.

Believe it or not, that cap and the screw that holds the spool pin plate are the only real parts that I find "fragile" on the featherweight. Otherwise, she's a tough old gal. It happens to all of us. In my case, I had a bobbin winder self destruct in my hands. Oh I was mad at myself.
Great, thank you. The Singer oil seems fine, but I will give her a good Tri-Flow treatment tonight and see what happens. I am slowly loosening and loosening the belt more and more and that has helped. She isn't as fast as what I see on the You Tube videos, but definitely better than she was when I first put the belt on, so I think I'm getting there with her I will look for the correct grease. I do have a newer tube of Singer grease, I will look to see what color it is.

Thanks again
Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 AM

Sounds good! Keep us updated as to how she does? Once you're sure the belt is as loose as it can be, give her a good run in with the triflow oil and grease. She may just speed up as you're running her.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 AM

I don't think you overpaid at all. Belts are not expensive and easy to put on. I bet she will be up and running soon and you will fall in love!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:17 AM

I have watched FW for a couple of years and 2 days ago a pawn shop owner who I had approached about the FW called and offered me one for "$400, looks like new, lots of metal parts, plugged in and hummed over phone with needle moving." Told him $250 and picked it up. Very nice (sorry no pic) BUT the metal parts that I thought were feet, etc turned out to be part of a hook assembly. Its on me...so I am looking for a hook assembly, a few bobbins, and someone to clean baked on oil for me. I am still excited with a bit of buyers remorse also. I wanted to bring "Baby" home and try her. Still happy with my impulse buy and hopefully will not pay too dearly for it.

Originally Posted by Mdaniels
[ATTACH=CONFIG]431751[/ATTACH]
Bought this today, have a little buyers remorse as, after reading folks say they would not pay over a certain amount, I may have overspent at $300. She does come with a one year warranty from the shop, however. Unfortunately I got her home and realized there is no belt (I will call in the morning). The little screw that holds the feet on is missing, and I can't get the storage shelf in the box to sit far enough down to close the lid. Other than that she is really pretty
Will my 401 feet fit her?

i spent too much? That is what they have been listing for around here on Craigslist.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 AM

I think that as others have said, I personally would not do too much to the machine until you decide if you are going to take it into the shop. With the missing screw/brush item for the motor, and that without a belt, how did they service it, I would want them to fully service it and not feel that my tinkering might have voided anything in their minds.

I am sure it will get serviced and ready to sew like a dream. I would just be thoughtful on what I did and did not do until I'd had a chance to clarify with the shop if it was actually serviced, etc. It might be as another poster mentioned that they mistakenly sold you one that had not yet been serviced, or finished being serviced.

Do let us know how it unfolds.

Michelle
Old 09-02-2013, 07:25 PM

Considering her condition and the fact that she was recently serviced, and has a case, I think you paid a fair price. I saw one here for $245 as beautiful as your Eva, but hadn't been serviced. That would easily put the ready-to-sew total above $300.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:26 PM

AND you got a 1 year warranty? You did fine.