Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Featherweight 221 ADVICE please~picture heavy. >
  • Featherweight 221 ADVICE please~picture heavy.

• Featherweight 221 ADVICE please~picture heavy.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 AM

Just my personal opinion, but without a case, I wouldn't pay so much, maybe half what they are asking.
    Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom
    It looks like a terrific deal! I bought mine on eBay about a year ago, no problems except a musty smell in the case. But I can live with that.

You can get cases on eBay, either new or vintage. And, you can find almost any part you need on eBay as well. A word of caution, though. I bought some new "featherweight" bobbins that don't work. They are slightly too thick and break the bobbin thread. So, if you need more bobbins, try to find vintage ones.
    Or purchase them from either www.april1930s.com or www.sew-classic.com

Both are great sites for quality parts & accessories for vintage Singer machines, including Featherweights.
    Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by jlm5419
    Just my personal opinion, but without a case, I wouldn't pay so much, maybe half what they are asking.
    My opinion too. There are many out there for that same price, with cases. Make an offer for less. Can't hurt to try.

Also if you are having it shipped to you make sure that they bubble wrap the machine very well. If you ever have one with a case shipped, make sure they bubble wrap the machine & case separately & ship everything packed in a shipping box. Do not let them use the case as a shipping container. It will probably be damaged when it arrives.
    Old 01-30-2012, 01:56 PM

Pinkberrykay, If you'd like I recently bought a new featherweight case because the case that came with it was damaged in one corner. If you'd like pm me your address and I'll send it to you. It does need some work though. Right now I have it scheduled to go outwith the garbage. Let me know.
    Old 01-30-2012, 02:14 PM

Sounds like an excellent deal to me. I paid more for mine a couple years ago (with case), it was also shipped from the east coast, arrived in super condition (very well packed in the case) and has been sewing like a dream ever since. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mine!
    Old 01-30-2012, 03:37 PM

That is so sweet of you. I am waiting to hear back from the lady on shipping charges. Im PM you my addy!!!

Originally Posted by Rosewood9
    Pinkberrykay, If you'd like I recently bought a new featherweight case because the case that came with it was damaged in one corner. If you'd like pm me your address and I'll send it to you. It does need some work though. Right now I have it scheduled to go outwith the garbage. Let me know.
    Old 01-30-2012, 04:17 PM

Location: Living the dream. Part of the year in the east and part of the year in the west

Buy it if you can at that price--the only ones I have found in Canada are in excess of 800 dollars. My singer man says they are easy to fix and many parts are very available. I have a 1957 model that he services for me once a year and it runs like a charm. I am going to have to replace the motor one of these days as it is starting to slip---You will love it for rapid stitching!!!
    Old 01-31-2012, 05:41 AM

Was your soft case similar to the Cabella FoxPro case?
    Old 01-31-2012, 07:37 AM

sometimes C L has good deals if you watch and you can try them out and save the postage.
    Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 AM

Hi,

I suggest you inquire about its working ability: is the wiring flexible, does it show signs of wear/repair; does the motor hesitate when pressing on the foot control, does the motor smoke/smell? Can the seller sew out a sample for you w 2 different thread colors so you can see top and bobbin stitching?

If you're not looking to spend alot on the case, you can purchase an inexpensive portable plastic file box & line it with batting. It opens/closes like the actual case, and weighs significantly less (perfect for class)! I use this for one of my 221-Js that came without a case, and personally love it

As a 221 enthusiast who loves their history, I'd also be curious what the sn is.
    These are durable, wonderful little straight stitch machines w a high cuteness factor; good luck

Jae