Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >
  • Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

• Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by calla
    Yes, thanks crafty for starting this thread, I have enjoy reading the posts..........I wondering who has the skill to make a design or applique of a featherweight perhaps a patch to put on a shirt I do have a pin I purshased from a show......but I can't draw and I don't know how to digitize............just thinking.......calla
    There is a free applique' pattern for a featherweight. Go to fatcatpatterns.com.
    Old 05-23-2011, 08:06 AM
    Banned

I have three Featherweights. Love them and want a 222 someday when I have the $$.

I took one to California with me and used it to make drapes and reupholster a chair. It sewed through all that thick fabric without a hitch. Also made a Bow Tucks on it and it breezed through the six layer spots without even slowing down.. My new and fance Janome wont do that!
    Old 05-23-2011, 08:08 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
    Yes, thanks crafty for starting this thread, I have enjoy reading the posts..........I wondering who has the skill to make a design or applique of a featherweight perhaps a patch to put on a shirt I do have a pin I purshased from a show......but I can't draw and I don't know how to digitize............just thinking.......calla
    There is a free applique' pattern for a featherweight. Go to fatcatpatterns.com.
    Thanks for this link. Lots of possibilities with this free pattern.
    I looked around and find that it is a fun site with other cool free patterns. Gotta love someone willing to give away their creativity.
    Old 05-23-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by JCquilts
    Originally Posted by Surfergirl
    Thanks for this link. Lots of possibilities with this free pattern.
    I looked around and find that it is a fun site with other cool free patterns. Gotta love someone willing to give away their creativity.
    You're welcome. I have plans for mug rugs, a wall hanging for my sewing room, cover for the machines, etc, using the featherweight applique'. There are a lot of other really nice patterns there...very generous of her to share with all of us.
    Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 AM

Sometimes people forget; featherweights are made of metal and very sturdy. Some of the much newer machines are made of plastic and can't be expected to hold up nearly as well.
    I wouldn't part with mine, at any price.
    Mariah
    Old 05-23-2011, 08:59 AM

If you flew to Cali did you take it on board with you or ship it in your luggage?
    Old 05-23-2011, 09:10 AM

I won a 1948 FW on Ebay a few weeks ago. I took it out of the box once but can't check it out for another month. Too much going on right now. The seller assured me it runs great and I took him at his word. He has good feedback. I probably paid too much, 325 dollars, but it has many attachments. now I just have to learn how to clean it up and maintain it.
    Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jerudy
    I also have 2, "Ruby" (1956) which I bought off a vendor at the Lancaster show last year, and "Sweet Caroline" (1947) I bought from ebay shortly thereafter. I love them both.

Gramquilter2, I have got to figure out how to make a cover like the one on AmyRose......
    It wasn't hard to make, I measured like you do when making toaster/mixer covers-width, length, height. Then drew each piece out on freezer paper. I then made quilt sandwiches and quilted enough fabric for the 2 pieces I decided would be right. One that goes front to back and 2 side pieces. The FW design is from FatCat designs, a free applique which I used free motion embroidery and my embroidery machine for details. It was a fun project.
    Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 AM

I’m really enjoying all of the photos and stories about everyone’s Featherweights. Looking forward to more.

For those of you that were asking about Hurkie the hand crank Featherweight, and wanting more details, I didn’t want Hurkie to “highjack” this thread, so I’ve started a new thread on the Main Board at: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-125111-1.htm

And I added additional photos also, especially of the crank end.

CD in Oklahoma
    Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 AM

Dang it! I "double-clutched" it again!
    (Double post)
    CD in Oklahoma