Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Featherweight machines holding value >
  • Featherweight machines holding value

• Featherweight machines holding value

Old 08-01-2016, 10:33 AM

Oh, I'm in love, too! I bought my first one from Ebay and my second came from my MinL when her eyesight was going.
    Old 08-02-2016, 09:15 AM

I paid $20 for my first, but it needed work, which I was able to do myself (with help on the Internet). I never used it much and sold it for $250, which I consider a reasonable price....more almost seems like gouging to me, IMHO. My second I paid $100, needs some work, and I bought to resell. I will ask $250 for this one also. When I want to sell something I want it gone....don't want to wait 6-12 months for a buyer. I frequently see vintage machines listed for a year or more for outrageous prices....waiting for a buyer who knows, "How much it's really worth"....hahahahaha
    Old 08-02-2016, 09:59 AM

I had looked for a FW for a long time. One day it dawned on me to check craigslist for a Janome. I bought a Gem for $75. I couldn't be happier.
    Old 08-02-2016, 10:27 AM

Good choice, countrymaid.
    I spend my time the same way you do, except my kids are gone. I'm in central NY

Originally Posted by countrymaid
    I had looked for a FW for a long time. One day it dawned on me to check craigslist for a Janome. I bought a Gem for $75. I couldn't be happier.
    Old 08-03-2016, 05:28 AM

The last couple of weeks, it seems that they are going a little cheaper on shopgoodwill.com.

bkay
    Old 08-05-2016, 01:42 PM

I found mine at a junk shop for $60 with lots of attachments but no case. I cleaned it up and oiled it and put grease in those little tubes and it worked like a charm. I used it for a couple of months before my LQS did a class on featherweight maintenance.

At the maintenance class I found out that it had thread wound all around the spindle thingy behind where the bobbin case goes so I learned how to get that out and how to put the thingy back together. The instructor couldn't believe that mine was still sewing well with all that thread there. Definitely not temperamental.

I have a hand crank that I sometimes put on it for when I want to sew somewhere there's no electrical outlet. Still don't have a case, but I have one of those rolling craft carts that it fits in perfectly, with a couple of pockets that can hold fabric, stabilizers and thread and there's a compartment above where the machine goes that can hold every single accessory--including my buttonholer, zigzag attachment, etc. so I can just roll it along to where ever I want to take it. It's way lighter than any of my other machines. I love it.

Maybe the folks who are having trouble with theirs need to do a tune up, or maybe they're mis-threading.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 08-05-2016 at 01:47 PM.
    Old 08-08-2016, 11:25 PM

The only times I've ever found a FW to be temperamental was when the bobbin assembly had been removed to clean and had not been reassembled correctly, had thread wrapped around the bobbin assembly, the needle inserted with the flat to the back rather that to the left or were threaded left to right rather than right to left. Otherwise they are so simple and reliable. They are so lightweight they are my go to travel machine when a straight stitch machine is required. If I need zig-zag or buttonholes, my Brother NX-400 is the machine I grab.
    Old 08-09-2016, 04:02 AM

My featherweight was my mother's machine, & I would never get rid of it! About 25 years ago, a friend of mine, who had waited a long time to acquire a FW, finally found one for sale for $400 & bought it. She's still a happy camper!
    Old 08-11-2016, 07:24 AM

I paid a little over $200 for mine but I deliberately picked one that showed wear-marks from lots of sewing - she's not a show piece. I wanted one that had been well broken-in, I didn't want to pay top dollar, and I wanted one that wasn't perfect-looking so I wouldn't stress about marring the finish while I'm using it, so we are a perfect fit. Mine needed only a little work (lube & new belt, and replace a missing bobbin case screw; and I put in an LED bulb) and I bought it from the original owner's granddaughter and she sent the original paperwork with it so I feel like I really know the machine's history. I named the machine "Priscilla" after her original owner. I keep her packed up in her case with all the "extras" I need to sew, so she's ready for me to grab-and-go at a moment's notice. It's my primary travel machine that I take on vacations and to "sew-ins" and sometimes to classes, depending on what's being taught. (I don't use it for quilting, just piecing.)

If it got lost or stolen, I'd look for another one. But I'm very happy with mine - nice stitches, no hassles, and I like the quiet "ticky-tack" sort of sound it makes. Plus it's just cute as a button, even with its worn-off decals.