Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Fiddle-based Singer in Parlor Cabinet >
  • Fiddle-based Singer in Parlor Cabinet

• Fiddle-based Singer in Parlor Cabinet

Old 07-29-2023, 11:42 AM

Default Fiddle-based Singer in Parlor Cabinet

I have just gotten this precious Coffin Top Parlor Cabinet with Fiddle-Base Singer treadle. I have never seen a treadle with a wooden connection between the wheel and pedal. I have never seen a treadle footrest that looks like this one. The larger of the two serial numbers indicates this was manufactured in 1874. It has a bullet shuttle. It still moves! Who here knows anything about this beautiful machine?

I keep searching the internet....

The man I bought it from said that the person who owned it is now in assisted living and he has to move so cannot keep it. The back side of the cabinet opens. He said that women with hoop skirts needed ventilation and used the door to get it. He said the cabinet was original to the machine.
    Attached Thumbnails fiddle-base-reveal.jpg   wooden-treadle-connector.jpg   serial-numbers-tag-inlay.jpg   treadle-foot-pedal.jpg   1874-coffin-top-parlor-cabinet-singer-treadle.jpg  

Old 07-29-2023, 11:57 AM

Over on ismacs.net Singer New Family Sewing Machine Information (ismacs.net) look at page 5, 6, or 7 of these ads, tough to tell on pages 6, 7 as the cabinet doors are closed, but you can read the descriptions. The picture on page 5 has 6 drawers, yours has 4.

Also over here Singer Sewing Machine Letter A, Number 1, Turtle Back, New Family (singersewinginfo.co.uk) based on the date you have I'm going with a Singer New Family.
    Old 07-29-2023, 12:39 PM

That is a beautiful machine and cabinet. You are so lucky to have found it.
    Old 07-29-2023, 03:06 PM

JoeJr -- those pictures of the sewing machines are great! THANK YOU!!

I examined the cabinet case and there are dowels in place on the top table underside which would indicate that this cabinet used to have doors that would have enclosed the internal workings and drawers of the sewing machine.

It is definitely not the Page 5 machine because of the lack of drawers.

It has to be the Page 7 machine because of the mother-of-pearl inlay on the machine. I would not say it is elaborately ornamented as there are just a few mother-of-pearl inlays. One is on the head, one is by the badge and two are on top of the machine. Some items may have been glued to the base but they aren't inset into the cast iron of the fiddle base. The inlays that are there are flush with the machine.

It has the tiniest throat space! 3.5 inches high and 6.5 inch long throat.

The folding table has the brass fixtures expected for furniture of that era. Some of the screws have been replaced. I get to figure out how to add doors. I think I will call the guy I bought it from and ask if the doors are hanging around over in his collection of items. Interestingly, he called the coffin top a "puzzle lid" And it does fold up in a puzzle like system. I think he has more stories to share with me.

Can you see the hearts on the treadle footpad? I took a tilted shot to make them clearer. None of the pictures on the ads focus on the hearts but they are there!

The back end of the cabinet and the folding top does not have the filigree ornamentation that the ad for page 7 shows.

Attached Thumbnails topinlays.jpg   headplate.jpg   openbackpanel.jpg   opentable.jpg   footpad-hearts.jpg  

Last edited by ibex94; 07-29-2023 at 03:25 PM.
    Old 07-29-2023, 03:08 PM

Here's a couple close up of the innards of the machine.
    Attached Thumbnails bobbin.jpg   machineunderside.jpg  
    Old 07-29-2023, 03:35 PM

Regarding the case, The page 6 ad matches the square finish of what I have much more than the page 7 case. The missing doors may have filigree which would make my machine case the page 6 case f'sure.

Barb -- I agree with you. I am thrilled I found this machine!
    Old 07-29-2023, 04:48 PM

Nice Singer New Family (model 12)!.......in a full cabinet with a fold down top to boot! Awesome! I've been looking for a cabinet like this for a long while. Congrats!
    Old 07-29-2023, 05:19 PM

Have you ever heard of this furniture being called something along the lines of a puzzle top cabinet? How did you know this cabinet even existed? It is a shame I have to recreate the doors. I better figure out what kind of wood is being used and whether or not it is oiled or polished or both, lol.