First free-arm Sewing Machine

Old 08-20-2015, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH
Actually, it is not becaue it is too old, it is because it has a Euro plug. that also means that the motor is most likely NOT set up for US current/voltage.

PLEASE do not "replace the plug" and try it.. that would not go over well at all....

And The name is NOT a shortened form of Free arm....
Stemming from Old Norse Freyja, modern forms of the name include Freya, Freija, Frejya, Freyia, Fröja, Frøya, Frøjya, Freia, Freja, Frua and Freiya.

Hello, I am in Germany and I think that there were no changes in voltage over here, only the plug ins have changed to more safely ones!
And you are right, there is a divine in northern saga with the name "Freya" or Freia" but the inventor himself said that he used the abreviation of the German name he gave his machine: "FREIARMNÄHMASCHINE" and the first 5 letters are "FREIA"!
Old 08-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Banned

sorry I missed the already in Germany part. my bad.

you posted "but the inventor himself said that he used the abreviation of the German name he gave his machine: "FREIARMNÄHMASCHINE" and the first 5 letters are "FREIA"!"

I'd love to see the source for that! I have a local collectore friend who has two of these and no documentation
Old 08-20-2015, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH
sorry I missed the already in Germany part. my bad.

you posted "but the inventor himself said that he used the abreviation of the German name he gave his machine: "FREIARMNÄHMASCHINE" and the first 5 letters are "FREIA"!"

I'd love to see the source for that! I have a local collectore friend who has two of these and no documentation
Have look at my original post #1: it's a link to a video where the experts told that it is an abreviation!
And here is another link:

http://www.ddr-museum.de/de/blog/the...igns-die-freia

Sorry it is in German, but it says that many people thought that he meant the goddess Freya, but the inventor Ernst Fischer always said that it is a real "made-up-word" used by him!

“Aber ich habe mir wirklich nichts Arges dabei gedacht”, beteuerte ihr Schöpfer und Taufpate, der Suhler Ingenieur und Erfinder Ernst Fischer (1910-2006). “Freia ist ein reines Kunstwort, das Kürzel für Freiarmnähmaschine. Und so war es wohl auch verstanden worden.”

Hope this helps you!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Banned

huh, well... ok then. I stand corrected. Thanks for the enlightenment!
Old 08-21-2015, 05:19 AM

I hope you can get it up and running. It would be a treat to see it in motion!

I've never seen one that swivels from a base like that - are there works for the machine inside that base part or is it just for stability? Anybody know if that design is unique to this machine?

So cool.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:44 AM

I have a different model- the Fischer Mewa Koma. Unfortunately no cord or knee lever so I've never tried it. The bed folds almost flat and the machine slides into a small briefcase type holder. If I recall correctly it has a dual voltage selector switch on the base. The Needlebar link has photos and information about your machine as well.http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage..._display_media

Just found another good link in German to both styles. http://www.naehmaschinenverzeichnis....aschinen/mewa/

Last edited by Monroe; 08-22-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:41 AM
KLO

What a cool machine and interesting video. Sure wish I had studied by German more while in college so I could understand all that the guy in the video said. I am of German heritage so you can bet I would love to stumble upon one of these someday .... but sounds like I would have to do some traveling first and then get very lucky. Thanks so much for the posting.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:49 PM

They are so neat looking, thanks for all the pictures and info. I wonder if you could get one off of ebay in Europe?
Old 09-27-2015, 01:45 PM

A little update for this FREA sewing machine: we found out it's one of the earlier machines because the name of the inventor, Ernst Fischer, is on this machine:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]531946[/ATTACH]

And it was a little bit tricky to biuld her up:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]531947[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]531948[/ATTACH]

And then we found out that there is no bobbin case or such a thing for the under going thread:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]531949[/ATTACH]

If there is anybody out there who knows how the bobbin case looks like for this machine: please send a picture! We don't know....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]531950[/ATTACH]

Perhaps SteveH knows something about the bobbins for this machine? Without it it will never work....
Attached Thumbnails 2015-09-23-21.14.59.jpg   img_4999.jpg   img_5000.jpg   img_5001.jpg   img_5003.jpg  

Old 09-27-2015, 02:50 PM

It's a very good fine, one of the early light weights. I have found a lot of producers made claims to their prodcuts that were only almost true. I think Elna had their free arm straight stitch model officially introduced in 1940. Freia is the only bakelite vesion I know of, probably lighter than Elna 1? There is likely much better sources for info on a German vintage forum. They would know which bobbins ot takes, maybe a standard veritas type? I doubt this machine were exported in large numbers. Bernina's first free arm zigzagger came in 1944 (some sources say 45). Favta had an early free arm model called "Darling", a smaller size light weight, but I have not found any date of introduction. It came in various version know as "Cresta" or "Vigorelli" (a zigzagger version from the 50s). Singer introduced their 320 (320K) in around 1958, a free arm zigzagger.

Edit; I found a picture on the web, the bobbins look small and flat, a bit unusual.

Last edited by Mickey2; 09-27-2015 at 03:10 PM.