Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • FMQ on Easy Quilter with Vintage Machine >
  • FMQ on Easy Quilter with Vintage Machine

• FMQ on Easy Quilter with Vintage Machine

Old 03-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Default FMQ on Easy Quilter with Vintage Machine

Hello. I am new to this board. I own several vintage machines - Singers: Featherweight 221, a 66-16, 404, 401, 301 (2 of those), 500A, 600E, 645, and a 648. For my portables I use an Arrow Gidget table so I can switch out machines easily. After some years of being away from sewing, I am quilting, learning different blocks, etc. I do not manage FMQ very well but do not like sending my quilts out because it is so expensive. At the Dallas Quilt Show last week I purchased an Easy Quilter (frame) mechanism. I was allowed to test myself on their set up and found I was able to do the quilting. They were using a Janome 1600 but said I could use any home sewing machine, the larger space between the needle and the inside side of the machine the better. My question is, will any of the machines I have work on this set up?

I know folks talk about FMQ with 15-91, 99, or 201, so I'm wondering if I need to purchase one of these? (I also own a vintage Brother 651, and a modern cheapy Walmart Brother XL5130.)

I will never have the funds for one of the expensive long-arm quilting machines, and couldn't justify the cost of one anyway. So need to find some way to use something less expensive.

Link to the Easy Quilter is http://www.easyquilter.com/eq1.htm.

Thank you so much for reading and thinking about my issue.
    Old 03-14-2012, 03:33 PM

I think the 66 will be fine, but if you run across a 201, that harp is even larger. I know several people who use these frames on standard home sewing machines (even the modern Brother types) and do fine.
    Old 03-14-2012, 03:51 PM

The throat space on the machines is really going to limit you. the 401 and 500 series machines don't do great FMQ because of the drop in bobbin and raised plates. I don't like my 401 for FMQ, but love it for other uses. The 66 or 301 may be the best bets. I love to FMQ on my 301. But, since you've spent so much on a frame I'd look into a larger harp space machine. Just my 3 cents worth:>
    Old 03-15-2012, 10:38 AM
    Power Poster

Try an older Japanese 15 - they FM very nice and have plenty of room in the harp. Some have stronger motors.
    Old 03-15-2012, 01:33 PM

OK, I haven't tested this out... yet... but I did purchase a Grace frame and plan to use one of my 301s on it. I realize I will be limited in my design capacity due to the harp space being so small. Since I want to make do with what I can afford and/or am willing to spend, I will just adapt. In a perfect world I would like to get a big Gammil or some other gorgeous set up.

BTW, welcome to the board. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!