Found my Rockateer

Old 09-11-2018, 09:59 AM

Default Found my Rockateer

After looking for over 8 years for a machine like my "mom's", I found it on Craigslist in my own town. I know it's not hers but, it's the same case and machine as hers. The attachment was immediate, I have lots of cleaning and research to do. [ATTACH=CONFIG]600865[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1707-1.jpg  
Old 09-11-2018, 10:06 AM

I have a Rocketeer my husband bought me. I love the way that machine looks. Last year, I pieced a king sized quilt on it. It just hums right along. Awesome machine!
Old 09-11-2018, 10:14 AM

I've never seen a 500 in a cabinet like that, it almost looks older than the machine. They booth look like they are in top condition though and looks great in your living room. I guess you are all onto oiling and cleaning things. There are lots of info on these, one of my favorites is the Archanic Arcane blogs, she talks you through it in detail, and there are lots of posts on the slant-o-matics. They are all of similar build, even if the exterior can differ a bit, take or give a few knobs, levers and built in features they are not too far from each other. A visual guide can make it easier sometiems too. You might not need any of the links, but it was the first things I thought if when I saw the picture. It looks very clean and nice.

Last edited by Mickey2; 09-11-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the leads on how to start on this. All help is welcome. I've been watching videos ever since I brought her home. I have only seen one other case like this one, it was in Nashville and had been painted in a distressed finish.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:45 AM

Congrats on the find!

If you've been researching then you probably know this already... be very gentle with the top lid. The hinges have a tendency to weaken. It's the same with the front door around the light. If the Rocketeer had any weak points, those are the two. They make replacements for the fold over spool pins, so that's not an issue. And- if you happen upon a Singer 603e that's being sold at a crazy/silly low price... then you buy it because the motor is identical to the one in the 500a and it could be a big cost saving measure to have a spare lying about. This is not to say that the motors are weak, because they are not... but we are talking about a fifty something year old machine.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:57 PM

I have to say I love your room too, space by the window, light yellow walls, wood floor and colors in the carpet. I shall have to take some inspration from your interior decorating, I need a break from gray, charcoal, black and more gray.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:08 PM

Thanks Mickey2, these colors make me happy. It seems like every house has yellow in it in Florida. It's bright and sunny.

I've been looking and looking, any one have any idea where the serial number is on a 500A?
Old 09-11-2018, 01:20 PM

I don't know about the 500A in particular, but some Singer have it under the base, in front when you tilt it up, embossed in the cast iron. Some have a plate or sticker under there, yet others have a plate under the hand wheel. The most common on the older machines in on the base under the stitch length lever/knob, but with the beige models this changed a bit.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:45 PM

So far all I have found is a sticker with patent numbers. Odd thing to find. Wonder if the serial number has been taken off.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by toverly
So far all I have found is a sticker with patent numbers. Odd thing to find. Wonder if the serial number has been taken off.
If you flip the machine back, look at the far left under side of the bed. ( Not under the drip pan)