Free-Westinghouse manual/date

Old 02-19-2018, 07:07 PM

Default Free-Westinghouse manual/date

Does anyone know where I could get a manual and/or date of this Free-Westinghouse sewing machine? It was given to me by a cabin neighbor and she said she used it to make curtains in the 50s. That was the last time it was tuned up. I found one for sale on eBay but didn't get any reply from the seller. Any help is appreciated. I don't know how to use it and would love to see if it works after oiling.
Attached Thumbnails img_5059.jpg   img_4029.jpg  
Old 02-20-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jabatrom
Does anyone know where I could get a manual and/or date of this Free-Westinghouse sewing machine? It was given to me by a cabin neighbor and she said she used it to make curtains in the 50s. That was the last time it was tuned up. I found one for sale on eBay but didn't get any reply from the seller. Any help is appreciated. I don't know how to use it and would love to see if it works after oiling.

Welcome Jabatrom. That looks like it would be a nice straight stitch machine.

Dating some of these old machines can be a problem. Many times it is a "best guess" based on some of characteristics of the machine.

you might want to try
http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals....1834201/1.html to see if you can find one like yours for a manual Some other names to look at would be "Free" "New Home" and "National"

I noticed your post at

Crinkle finish and other ugly finish machine thread
Unknown age and/or date. Last used in the 50s. Love to get more info on it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]589447[/ATTACH]
It looks like the controller is patent 1945066 from 1934. You didn't show the plugs for the motor. Maybe you can post here.

Your post

What model is your machine? I too am looking for a manual and can't find one. My model is 1172364-A At least that's a number on the Westinghouse plate. The deacon on the front is metal and says Free-Westinghouse.
at Help on free westinghouse machine is on an old post that I think is for a newer one that has cams. Also Meow Meow has not been active since Aug 2014.

That number is the Westinghouse's motor style number. The serial number of the actual machine can be a number of places. One would be on the bed of the machine under the motor. One is on the bed of the machine under the front slide plate. One would be on one of the slide plates (which often are lost and/or replaced without the serial number). Sometimes the serial number is on the front underside lip of the machine bed.

From what I can see of the threading looks pretty close. The needle may be a not easily available, but possibly can drop a current needle a bit and have it work. One also needs to know which side the flat of the needle shank is to be inserted into the clamp. If you post a picture of the area maybe someone here can tell for sure. I usually go by the last thread guide on the needle clamp or will sometimes take a mirror on the bed to see which side the flat is on in the needle clamp.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:17 AM

jabatrom, welcome to the board. Have you sewn with a vibrating shuttle machine before? They are fun but can be a challenge for a rookie. Glad you got the picture up.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:02 PM

http://ismacs.net/free/manuals/freevs-c-e-ce-manual.pdf

Looks like this was converted to a portable in the 40's and 50's which was quite popular. The machine itself would be earlier. I don't believe the maroon crinkle finish is original.

Jon
Old 02-20-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
http://ismacs.net/free/manuals/freevs-c-e-ce-manual.pdf

Looks like this was converted to a portable in the 40's and 50's which was quite popular. The machine itself would be earlier. I don't believe the maroon crinkle finish is original.

Jon
I thought that it might be one of those, too. However, it doesn't have the stitch length regulator (like the machines in that manual) at the base of the pillar. Also it appears that there is an additional thread guide above the tension assembly.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench
I thought that it might be one of those, too. However, it doesn't have the stitch length regulator (like the machines in that manual) at the base of the pillar. Also it appears that there is an additional thread guide above the tension assembly.

Yes, Close but not an exact match. Perhaps a model LN. Possibly a Rotoschillo model which are prized.

http://needlebar.org/cm/thumbnails.php?album=298&page=3

Last edited by jlhmnj; 02-20-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:03 AM

These are my Free rotociollos. One with bearings, one without.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589500[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails free-2-vsms-b.jpg  
Old 02-21-2018, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Yes, I think it is a model LN. I found this image http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.ph...omelnparts.jpg and it looks to be an electric with the small handwheel.

I don't know if I just haven't looked hard enough but are there any other mid century machines that used the Rotoscillo movement? It appears that they have the stitch length on the bed near the pillar.

Now we need a picture of the serial number. hint hint. If it is LN maybe 1933-1942 or 1949-1952

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 02-21-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:50 AM

This is the ball bearing rotoscillo movement for those who may not know.[ATTACH=CONFIG]589502[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails free-rotoscillo-ball-bearings-2-b.jpg  
Old 02-21-2018, 09:10 PM

No I haven't. I don't know how to use this machine yet. Still trying to find info on it.