Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Glenn's Fishy Quilt - The blocks and the machines >
  • Glenn's Fishy Quilt - The blocks and the machines

• Glenn's Fishy Quilt - The blocks and the machines

Old 06-27-2012, 11:04 AM

Whigrose, Deb, from Maine did the really cool looking fish. I used a variegated thread on my 15-88 treadle to enchance the fishy's features when I quilted this block! I loved all the blocks, but this was one of my personal favorites![ATTACH=CONFIG]345056[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails whigrose-block-small.jpg  
    Old 06-27-2012, 11:12 AM

Here is Miriam's sister, Martha's block. I love the fabric she used! It went perfect with the background I used - even had fishing lures in her fabric motifs! I thought when I got this block that it was almost like Martha knew what fabric I was going to put around this block![ATTACH=CONFIG]345058[/ATTACH]

I just used the motifs in the fabric for quilting with an outline around them!
    Attached Thumbnails martha-blocksmall.jpg  
    Old 06-27-2012, 11:16 AM

Ok another really cool block to have in the quilt! My Dad had one of those fly fishing basket type tackle boxes! I loved the fabric in this block! Again I quilted it just outlining the motifs!

JabezRose[ATTACH=CONFIG]345060[/ATTACH], Pamela, from Michigan did this block!
    Attached Thumbnails jabezrose-block-small.jpg  

Last edited by BoJangles; 06-27-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 AM

The block Irishrose, Judy, another gal from Michigan did! I don't know my fish too well - I thought these were Salmon but I think after looking again they might be trout? Glenn would know! Love the color of the fish and the block - I loved it when I got such a variety of color to balance out this quilt! Again quilted FM on my 15-88 treadle outlining the fish![ATTACH=CONFIG]345066[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails irishrose-block-small.jpg  

Last edited by BoJangles; 06-27-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    Old 06-27-2012, 11:30 AM

Kathie S from my neck of the woods did the second fisherman I got! Kathie was gracious enough to make 2 blocks for me so 'I' wouldn't have to construct a block! My contribution was putting the quilt together! I hadn't planned on making a block too! I was worried I wouldn't get the last block in time to go in the quilt! I needed 20 blocks to get this quilt done! Her second block did not go into the quilt because I got Muv's block from England just in time! Kathie has her second block - it was 3 fishy's and done very nicely![ATTACH=CONFIG]345067[/ATTACH] I gave the block back to her and didn't take a photo of it! I had my choice of her blocks and decided I liked the idea of 2 fishermen in the quilt! Thank you Kathie for all your hard work!
    Attached Thumbnails kathie-block-small.jpg  

Last edited by BoJangles; 06-27-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Old 06-27-2012, 11:34 AM

Here is the block that Nurseknitslaura, Laura, did! One very large fish done on denim! I used quilting to outline the fish; and, I copied her fish with a very small fish FM style [ATTACH=CONFIG]345068[/ATTACH]to fill up the space with quilting on her denim background!
    Attached Thumbnails nurseknitslaura-small.jpg  

Last edited by BoJangles; 06-27-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    Old 06-27-2012, 11:38 AM
    Power Poster

Nancy, I had no idea how this quilt was going to turn out from the start. I wondered how it would work... what would it look like - after I thought about it much, it kind of curled my hair. But, with all of the variety of blocks you really pulled it together - that was the perfect back ground and backing. I think it is one of the neatest quilts I have seen in a very long time. I think it is because so many people contributed and then you pulled it together just right. I'm also glad I didn't have to come up with putting that one together - it would not be the same I'm sure... I know Glenn is proud of it and thrilled to have it.
    Old 06-27-2012, 11:48 AM

Miriam, I was kinda worried too!~ When I picked the background I thought it would go with most any block I got because of the colors of the fishing lures in the fabric! I was just hoping I wouldn't end up with blocks that blended in too much with the background! I lucked out! I was also very pleased with the colors of the blocks. I got enough brown, blue, white to balance out the quilt! I tried to arrange the blocks in a color balance so all the white or brown blocks were not side by side! At first, I was just going to put the blocks in the quilt in the order that they arrived - it didn't look good - too much white all together! It turned out perfect that Muv's block was a lot of white - it finished up the quilt perfectly - I thought!

Nancy
    Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Ok here is JMCDA, Joann's block, from Canada! I really loved this block, but I was also really worried that it would blend in too much! I stressed over what to do to make this block pop out of my background! Joann did such a great job on that fish! I didn't want to 'lose' her block in the quilt! I actually took the quilt to Girls Night Out to get opinions on what to do! I was going to put piping on the block, or decorative stitches around the block, but everyone said no - just quilt it like the others! I still worried - I really wanted everyone to see this block - it is such a cool block! I hope I made the right decision to just put it in the quilt like the rest of the blocks![ATTACH=CONFIG]345069[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails jmcda-block-small.jpg  

Last edited by BoJangles; 06-27-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 AM

Here is Texas Jan's block. She used a vintage sewing machine fabric for the fish body! Such a great idea - the sewing machine fabric -[ATTACH=CONFIG]345071[/ATTACH] since this whole quilt was done to thank Glenn for his tute on cleaning up the shellac on the vintage machines! Great job Jan!~
    Attached Thumbnails texas-jans-block-small.jpg