Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Going cross-eyed - Antique Singer >
  • Going cross-eyed - Antique Singer

• Going cross-eyed - Antique Singer

Old 04-05-2022, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench
    It looks like you have a 15-87 since it has the solid hand wheel and a BR motor. It is quite possible that the controller can be removed and used as a foot controller. Sometimes when the button controller was sold with the cabinet that they shortened the cord, so it didn't have excess cord to wrap up and put away. Hopefully, WIChix will be better able to help. Since the controller looks to be connected directly to the plug?? maybe just a cord like https://www.amazon.com/Power-Cord-Si.../dp/B002JKP0X6 would work.

The metal pieces which can be taken off fairly easily and polished with metal polish. The bobbin winder can be kind of fiddly to get back together.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

I am going to be taking pictures later this afternoon with my DSLR camera, they'll be much better than the ones that I have now and I'll post them after I compress and resize them. Are there any specific pictures that I need to take to help more with the identification? Could I maybe track down the motor with that serial number or did they use the same motor over different models?
    Old 04-05-2022, 08:14 AM

I don't know if these links will work, but they should be the same file that are parts list for the 15-86 & 15-87 from Superior Sewing. On page 7 of the pdf or page 13 of the manual it tells about the 15-87 having a BR motor. Yes, many machines used that motor. I have one machine that I think has the button controller with the knee controller, but fairly certain newer than your machine. I haven't touched it for a number of years.

https://www.google.com/url?esrc=s&q=...tvr0ywsgHFULBP
    https://docplayer.net/102557080-Sing...ger-15-87.html

Follow the wire from the controller to the machine and see if it is connected behind the three pin plug. I have a 319 machine that the controller was wired to the motor or behind the plug. I put a cord that had another controller on it and I could use either to run the machine. That is why I think that you could use the Amazon one that I linked to. On page 11 of the pdf (19 of the manual shows one similar to what I used on the the 319. I can't remember which machine I got one like Amazon link ( I think it was for one of my slant shank machines.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:39 AM

Okay, that let's me know I'm on the right path, I downloaded a different manual last night that I thought was a parts manual and it's the same copy that you linked. I'll set up to print that one off later this evening. Going to need a three-ring binder for this beauty, I intend to document everything from start to finish and include pictures as I go along. I doubt any of my family will want her when I'm gone, with all the documentation of the work I put into her will give her next owners a good foot hold on what they've got.
    Old 04-05-2022, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat
    ... it's the same copy that you linked....
    I like the quite of the few that I got from "Superior Sewing" as most of them you can do a "Find" that will work. There have been some that it doesn't, but quite a few do. I like that I can look at a plate with a picture of some object and use "CTRL-F" and type a number in and have a search that will find it in the numerical list for what Singer called that part. It does not always work but sure is nice when it does.

Nice that you are doing some documentation on this machine. I wish some of the machines I have could talk.

Old 04-05-2022, 11:47 AM

In addition to the foot pedal, it looks like you have a lint brush jammed in there.

The foot pedal will slide straight up out of the knee control mechanism. Just pull it straight up. Depending on the wiring set up, my guess as well is that the plug that OurWorkbench recommended might be all you need. That would mean you will have far less to fiddle with in changing over the wires. You will just have to change the wires in the machine and not the plug.

Bob Fowler has a video on YouTube about the wiring and adjustment of these machines and AndyTube has over 500 videos on sewing machine repairs including a series of very detailed videos on adjusting the foot pedal. InStitches also has a great video on how to take apart and adjust these foot pedals.

You might have to adjust the feed dog movement to match your new throat plate when you get it. If you get an original Singer it may work right off, if you get a new one you might have to do an adjustment. Those adjustments are easy, Bob Fowler has a detailed video on that.
    Old 04-05-2022, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1.41
    In addition to the foot pedal, it looks like you have a lint brush jammed in there....
    ... you'll see I scored an old cleaning brush, too, lol....
    ...You might have to adjust the feed dog movement to match your new throat plate when you get it. If you get an original Singer it may work right off, if you get a new one you might have to do an adjustment. Those adjustments are easy, Bob Fowler has a detailed video on that.
    She doesn't need a throat plate.
    ... it's missing a bobbin plate,...
    I know that Singer really didn't change much on the body of the machine for a while,...
    The parts lists the Shuttle Race Slide as part #15188, however it looks like part #15147 would work for a variety of class 15 machines. Some links to buy can be found at
    https://www.singeronline.com/slideplate5.html
    https://tomssewing.com/collections/m...e-singer-15147
    https://www.amazon.com/Kunpeng-UNIVE...KQ7/ref=sr_1_2
    Unfortunately, I couldn't find the single plate on Amazon for less than the two cost at that last link. At least not on the first couple of pages of my search.

I have read that sometimes the metal doesn't match like what is on the machine and occasionally the new will be a little thicker, but still functional.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-05-2022 at 06:08 PM.
    Old 04-05-2022, 08:25 PM

Janey and John: Yes you are right the colour will not match. The vintage chrome plate has a yellow tint, the new ones have a bluish tint. To get the colours to match both a new throat plate and a bobbin plate will be needed, or alternatively, a vintage one can be had on the 'bay.

The new ones may not exactly match the feed-dog set up which is why I mentioned the possibility of having to make the adjustment to the rocker shafts to ensure that the feed-dogs will work with the replacement plate. Instead of making the adjustment in my case I was able to file one of the openings to ensure that the feed-dog didn't hit the plate. Adjusting the rocker shaft would have been easier.

I too have a 319 which is set up in a cabinet with a foot pedal attached to a knee controller, and like yours the foot pedal is wired into the back of the 3-prong connector. The 319 is a fabulous machine that doesn't get anywhere near the attention it deserves.
    Old 04-06-2022, 01:18 AM

,,,You might have to adjust the feed dog movement to match your new throat plate when you get it.,,,
    ...The new ones may not exactly match the feed-dog set up which is why I mentioned the possibility of having to make the adjustment to the rocker shafts to ensure that the feed-dogs will work with the replacement plate.,,,.
    The point is that a new throat plate is not missing for this machine.
    The part that is missing is the rectangular piece that slides to the left of the throat plate.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-06-2022 at 01:22 AM.
    Old 04-06-2022, 04:34 AM

Nice machine. I have one just like that. And if IRC, there is something a bit different about it than most 15's like it, but I can't recall offhand what it is.
    Old 04-06-2022, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    Nice machine. I have one just like that. And if IRC, there is something a bit different about it than most 15's like it, but I can't recall offhand what it is.
    Per your post Singer 15-91 I'm thinking that perhaps that the stitch length lever goes down for a longer stitch, which some of the 15K machines, of that era, go up to lengthen (per https://www.manualslib.com/manual/36...?page=7#manual). Also some 15s thread the needle opposite directions.