Good deal for $80 ?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 AM

A very good deal, comparing to what one has to pay around here. I got a good deal on a 15-90, which has the motor sticking out in the way versus a 15-91 which has a potted motor and is much better for FMQing. Mine was $125.00, in very good condition with the table and the bench and all attachments and original manual.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:40 AM

Yep, still available. I have an OSMG who has been in my area of Maryland for 30 years. He might not think he's the "O" part ( guessing he's 55ish). However, when i mentioned my desire to my own Old Guy,haha...my silverhaired sweetie, he said,"And why would you buy a machine that doesn't do more than your newer one? It only goes forward and backward? ". He is clearly not a SMG. He is an OGG ( old guitar guy). Not sure i can just justify getting an old Singer when what I need is a new computerized Janome.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:46 AM

The cabinet alone is worth the $80.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:37 AM

Why are you so afraid of a rewire? If it is not plugged in usually it is a few screws. I rewired my grandmothers 201 years ago and would rewire one now.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 AM

I have a brand new Viking Tribute 140C (computerized machine with all the bells and whistles). I really like it and I quilt a lot on it. But it`s an expensive machine and I'm afraid of pushing it too hard. So I use a lot my 15-91 for "hard work" (quilting long straight lines with a walking foot or FMQ large area with a simple allover design; any work that I like to do at high speed) It's a tough one and it can take any thing. The harp size of the Tribute is very large; still, there is something in the design of the 15-91 that make it easier to tuck big size quilt. So you need a new computerized Janome AND a good old Singer 15
I second the question about your fear of rewiring. I was able to do it myself easily and I have never touched any electrical component before in my life. Once it`s unplug, it`s perfectly safe to touch it. You may not need to rewire evey part of it. You can check Rain website for more information about wiring: http://vssmb.blogspot.ca/
Old 08-29-2013, 07:39 PM

I had put the whole deal out of my mind a couple days ago because I was going to order a new Janome (birthday prez from generous hubby) and be very happy about that. ( I am. It should be here tomorrow!) I also found a table at GW for $20 that should suit me well for sewing and give me plenty of legroom.

But tonight I got a message from the seller: "Do you want to see the machine tomorrow?" ) People, it's only 3 minutes from my house; do you know how tempting that is? And is it unusual that a seller is asking the buyer? He must really want to unload it . (I have not replied to him yet. )

Ya'll seem unanimous on this being a worthy investment and certainly trust the voice of the expert masses like you .

But...

-I would have to sacrifice floor space to accomodate it. That's a premium right now in my sewing room/guest room.

-I am not afraid of wiring that's unplugged but that my attempt at replacing anything would start a fire when I plugged it back in!

-Is it really necessary if I have a Janome and a Kenmore? Hmmm.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by zozee
Is it really necessary if I have a Janome and a Kenmore? Hmmm.
Necessary has nothing to do with it. LOL. I have a vintage 15 clone on its way right ow. Can't wait till she gets here.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:51 AM

Okay, so i just called the seller. He has an estate sale business. He sounds very nice. I asked if he thought the wiring was safe . Says he fired it it up and ran it with no problems. I asked if he had room to move on the price and he said ( right away," yeah, i do. I'll negotiate with . He said his wife will be there this afternnon to show it to me; he won't be.

Heart is pumping faster now. I guess this is a sympton some of you are familiar with. Teeheee. So, how low would you go ? One suggested 60. Would 50 be okay? 40? I love me asuper deal on top of asuper deal! That is, assuming it's all the ad says it is.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:00 AM

Well, your not gonna believe this, but I just sold that machine and cabinet to a guy in Bel Air, his wife wanted to learn how to repair things. (I am pretty sure that's the one) it is a 15-91. I had trouble trying to refill the bobbin on it, but I adjusted it and it worked perfectly. My husband bought it at a garage sale in Orange County for $35 for me, I had already bought one on Ebay I didn't need the cabinet so we sold it for $80 to this guy and his wife, he told me he was a television camera man. I would buy it, it's a great machine.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie
Well, your not gonna believe this, but I just sold that machine and cabinet to a guy in Bel Air, his wife wanted to learn how to repair things. (I am pretty sure that's the one) it is a 15-91. I had trouble trying to refill the bobbin on it, but I adjusted it and it worked perfectly. My husband bought it at a garage sale in Orange County for $35 for me, I had already bought one on Ebay I didn't need the cabinet so we sold it for $80 to this guy and his wife, he told me he was a television camera man. I would buy it, it's a great machine.
What is the attachment in the white box?