Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • HELP!!!!  Joe - Charlie - or Someone in the know >
  • HELP!!!! Joe - Charlie - or Someone in the know

• HELP!!!! Joe - Charlie - or Someone in the know

Old 10-31-2013, 03:09 PM

I'm in agreement with Mitch's mom, $150.00 max. And that is only if the cabinet is in good structural condition. Parlor cabinets are a pain in the keester to repair if the glue has started to give up.

It's a Singer 66 redeye and it does look to have the back clamp feet. Not a big deal as they work just fine. Matter of fact the box of attachments should have a whole set.

Belts are cheep. Most LSMGs have them, Sew-Classic has them, as do many other places.

I'd love to have a cabinet like that. Mine is for a Franklin and isn't that nice.

Joe
    Old 11-01-2013, 02:44 AM

I may be the odd ball, but I collect parlor cabinets. I'd offer $200 and go up to $400 for this style. I'd consider more if the machine was nicer. But you can always offer less as if there are no collectors in your area it may never sell for what a collector would pay.

Last edited by Macybaby; 11-01-2013 at 02:47 AM.
    Old 11-01-2013, 05:53 AM

The sewing machine is worth about $50.00 and the cabinet is worth about $200.00. I would offer Her $200.00 and take a chance on the machine, you won't hurt yourself is the machine needs some help, the 66 is easy to get parts for. Wish pic's were better, I bet the cabinet is beautiful.
    Old 11-01-2013, 06:13 AM

I would have to see the top of the cabinet before I made an offer. Frequently, maybe even most of the time, the top has peeling veneer. Also, are there parts of the cabinet missing? You need more information.
    Old 11-01-2013, 06:47 AM

I myself would talk with the owner to attempt to find out how knowledgeable she is about the machine/cabinet, or if she is just fishing for prices waiting for a better moment to sell/get rid of the machine. I recently bought a Red Eye, not knowing to try it out before we left the premises, paid $75 for it, and the needle stuff isn't even on it. Crazy me, all I saw was that it was a beautiful Red Eye Singer in a decent treadle cabinet. I've been kicking my butt for six months or so now. Oh well. It goes further to the bottom of the list of priorities now that Christmas is upon us, but I'll get a 'round to it', you know.....

In SC, I would think that $100 would be a good starting point, and if you are real serious about wanting it, not go over $200 since the cabinet is so pretty. JMHO.
    Old 11-01-2013, 07:17 PM

I might go as high as $100 for the machine and the parlor cabinet. It is the cabinet that makes it worth the money.
    Old 11-01-2013, 09:00 PM

Yep, I think the above comments are spot on, the cabinet is the big seller here, the machine with attachments and all parts accounted for is a bonus. I would say anywhere in the $100-150 range in Canadian would be all I would spend in my area. Although people ask $300-$450. The tension assembly looks like the old kind that doesn't have the numbered dial. My 1916 Singer 99 has that same tension. I tried metal 66 class bobbins from Wallmart, they sucked. They didn't work at all on my 99. They didn't have the little notch that allows them to be used on the bobbin winder and they just felt really cheep and flimsy and did not allow the tension to work right. I would not buy bobbins from wallmart ever again. I have some on order from Sew Classic as well as a 1/4 inch foot for the old straight stitch machines feed dog profile.

on a side note, my 201 takes cheep plastic 66 bobbins no problem, but my 99 is super picky, they have to be metal and just the right shape.
    Old 11-03-2013, 02:18 PM

Max I would pay is $150 even with the cabinet. Make sure the cabinet top is all there as are all the little bits and pieces.