Help! Pfaff 130 has no power

Old 02-03-2015, 06:22 AM

Unhappy

I looked up: "motor brush replacement", and found out where to buy them, but no directions on how to change them. If the brushes are really bad and burned out, you may need a new motor. Ouch!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:30 PM

Here is a picture of my Pfaff motor. Yours is probably the same. You carefully open the little screw caps (on the right) being careful that the brush inside doesn't fly out since it is in there with a spring.

There are 2 brush caps, one on each side. Under the brush cap is a small rectangular tube. Inside the tube is a carbon brush and a small spring that presses it towards the commutator.

The brushes wear down over time and need to be replaced. If the brush is 1/4 inch or less replace it. If the brush is completely gone damage to your motor may have occurred.

This link has some great pics and information to help you. http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/12/ho...art-10_21.html
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0289-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 02-04-2015, 04:55 AM

Mrs.SewNSew, your information is extremely helpful! Thanks so much! Today I am taking the controller in to a repair shop hoping that they either have a Pfaff 130 I can try it on or else have a spare controller I can take home to try. This way I can eliminate the controller as the problem or conversely discover that it IS the problem.

The motor will be the next area of attack.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:06 AM

Wow! I learned more than I never wanted to know about motors. But I have such a motor with loose connections. The wire ends are hanging there, and there is no cord connection. I think I can buy that.
The machine turns now; it didn't at first until I gave it an oil bath. I don't have time to work with this machine now, and don't know when I will have time, but this would be a good candidate for playing around with parts and motors. The machine was given to me and looks like a boat anchor. It's a 1954 Singer, should be salvageable.

I really enjoyed your tutorial on motors. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:16 AM

You're both welcome! The tutorial is not mine per se, it's Rain Noe's and he does an excellent job of it. That entire series is good to follow along for pretty much any motor the same skills and knowledge apply.

As you can tell, I had problems with my Pfaff motor too and had it off the machine and ended up taking it apart.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:47 PM

Update: I took the controller into the sewing machine repair shop. She was able to quickly test it, and it ran fine. I then ordered a new motor from her. She confirmed that the symptoms I had described before it failed pointed to the need for a new motor. I guess after close to 60 years, that is to be expected. I run that machine every day and enjoy how fast it goes. I can't say how the machine was used before I got it, except that the owner immediately before me was a retired man who purchased it an estate sale (needed to have his own machine, since his wife wouldn't let him sew on hers). He used it to make denim quilts for his grandkids and for charity.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:12 PM

I heard that we should open the motor and check those brushes occasionally. Would save is a lot of headache and money. But how many people do that. Not too many.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:02 PM

I wouldn't expect someone nervous about electrical to break open a motor or even remove cap to replace brush. Best to take it to someone familiar to repair or replace. Better yet if handy family or friend is available to fix and teach. Advising electrical repair over the internet seems to me a dangerous proposition even if advice is spot on.
Purely personal opinion.
Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 02-04-2015 at 08:09 PM.