Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Help re swapping singer 306 table with pfaff 30 tabletop & vice versa >
  • Help re swapping singer 306 table with pfaff 30 tabletop & vice versa

• Help re swapping singer 306 table with pfaff 30 tabletop & vice versa

Old 08-21-2016, 08:23 AM

Default Help re swapping singer 306 table with pfaff 30 tabletop & vice versa

I could cry.....I've just spent the afternoon trying to swap my pfaff 30 out of its base into a singer 306 table.

The machine base measure the same so stupidly because the pfaff fitted into the singer table's hinges and I could sew fine when I tried to lower it I couldn't get it to fit when I tightened the screws to make sure it was on the hinges.

Then when I tried to get singer 306 into pfaff base it seems that the hinge holes don't match.

Also stupidly I'm trying to do this on my own and the hinges keep dropping as I try to put the singer 306 onto them.

Is it that I'm just tired and cranky.....should they be interchangeable. The base of the hinges (the circles that inset into the wood are very different size.

Ive just measured Again....the gap from centre to centre of each hinge prong is fractionally different
    Singer table = 9 and 6/8s inches
    Pfaff tabletop = 9 and 7/8s inches

The plan was to keep the pfaff 30 and use in the table which has a lovely extending leaf for quilting and sell the 306. It's lovely and fantastic to see but I'm downsizing as I have way too many snd can't enjoy my sewing.

KEEPING
    SINGER
    66 treadle
    99 handc
    221 white
    221 centennial
    401 in table
    Pfaff 30 ( I have 2 and am going to ask my osmg which is best one)

Moving on
    SINGER
    306 (two)
    201 tan
    201 black aluminium
    301 black with cradle
    301 tan
    306 cabinet
    306 tabletop.....well that was the theory
    401 in table
    Pfaff 30

Sorry I can't seem to add photos due to size pics of the table versus the base.

I'm in the UK , if I could get my machines to you I would lol!

Thanks Ellie xx
    Old 08-21-2016, 10:30 AM

In my experience, the hinges on pfaff 30s and 130s aren't directly interchangeable with Singers. Though, I haven't seen more than a few of the old black cast iron Pfaffs, Singers are much more common. Those later gray Paffs (1950s zigzaggers) turn up regularly. Some manage to fit any model and brand into their favorite cabinet, but it often does involve a bit of carpentry work. I lean towards keeping the orignal fittings intact, it's much better if machines were to be switched around later on, and there might be a limit to how much drilling and redrilling a cabinet can take (neither do I keep a lot of tools for wood work at home).

I'm surprised to see you are keeping four (!) Featherweights, and not a single 301. I would imagine the 301 has it's advantages as a portable next to a featherweight? A black cast iron 201 has become my favorite the last two years, it's a joy to work on it.

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-21-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    Old 08-21-2016, 11:24 AM
    Power Poster

I have an older Singer Desk from the 70s and I just let my Bernina sit in the well of the desk.