Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Help! Thread caught in bobbin area of my 101! >
  • Help! Thread caught in bobbin area of my 101!

• Help! Thread caught in bobbin area of my 101!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:34 AM

Everyone has been so kind to take time to try to help me! You guys are great! I tried going in from underneath, but no thread is showing down there. Can't unwrap because only one piece of thread is showing. I now have it soaking in oil, so we will see if that works. But I am beginning to think the only way it will be fixed is to take out the whole bobbing assembly and that scares me. I just got my 328 back from the repair shop ($84.00) and spent more than I paid for the machine, so I can't take this one in right now. I think I will do some research and try to fix it myself. It is 83 years old and I hate to be the cause of its demise, though! Keep your fingers crossed that the oil will work and I won't have to tear it apart...
    Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 AM

Lovely, If the Singer 101 bobbin area is like the Singer 201 you can follow Rain's excellent tutorial on taking this area apart, cleaning, and reinstalling. http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/ho...bbin-case.html

I did this with my Singer 201, and it was easier to do than I had thought it would be. Good luck!
    Old 07-02-2012, 05:43 PM

Glenda and Pat - Your idea worked - I oiled the thread, let it sit several hours and my DH was able to wiggle the wheel and gently work the thread out! Thank you so much! And a big thanks to everyone who took time to give me a suggestion. You are all awesome.
    Old 07-02-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Lovely, If the Singer 101 bobbin area is like the Singer 201 you can follow Rain's excellent tutorial on taking this area apart, cleaning, and reinstalling. http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/ho...bbin-case.html

I did this with my Singer 201, and it was easier to do than I had thought it would be. Good luck!
    Vintagemotif - The bobbin assembly is totally different in the 201, but I was thrilled to get the link you sent me. I also have a 201! Thanks so much! (My DH managed to get the thread out after we oiled the thread)
    Old 07-02-2012, 06:18 PM

So glad you got that pesky thread out, or your husband did. LOL We have to save a dime where we can, don't we?
    Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 AM

So glad that thread came out for you. I was going to try to help by disassembling the bobbin assembly on my 101. I figured that it could not be that hard if I documented the steps with photos. I can take that chore off my to do list. Congrats
    Old 07-03-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
    So glad that thread came out for you. I was going to try to help by disassembling the bobbin assembly on my 101. I figured that it could not be that hard if I documented the steps with photos. I can take that chore off my to do list. Congrats
    What a sweet gesture - thanks so much for thinking of doing that! I was going to attempt it, but the little screw I thought needed to come out simply wouldn't turn. Probably hadn't been off the machine in 83 years! Thanks so much for thinking about helping me in such a wonderful way!
    Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
    What a sweet gesture - thanks so much for thinking of doing that! I was going to attempt it, but the little screw I thought needed to come out simply wouldn't turn. Probably hadn't been off the machine in 83 years! Thanks so much for thinking about helping me in such a wonderful way!
    No problem Linda. I sort of like to see how things work. I always marvel at how things are made and how they function. If I ever encounter the same thread problem I will remember that a lot of oil is the first fix. Happy 101 sewing.
    Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 PM

Glad you got it fixed!
    Old 07-03-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
    Glenda and Pat - Your idea worked - I oiled the thread, let it sit several hours and my DH was able to wiggle the wheel and gently work the thread out! Thank you so much! And a big thanks to everyone who took time to give me a suggestion. You are all awesome.
    So glad your problem is solved. The folks on this board are so knowledgeable and helpful.