Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Help! Thread caught in bobbin area of my 101! >
  • Help! Thread caught in bobbin area of my 101!

• Help! Thread caught in bobbin area of my 101!

Old 07-01-2012, 05:49 PM

Default Help! Thread caught in bobbin area of my 101!

The thread jammed up on my Singer 101 and there is a piece stuck in the bobbin area. I removed the plate and feed dogs and tried to gently tug on it while I wiggled the wheel, but it is stuck tight. The wheel will only turn about 1/8 inch either way. I am assuming I need to remove the bobbin assembly, but don't know how. I see what looks like a screw with a hole in the center underneath where the bobbins lays. Is that what will release the bobbin assembly? Any help appreciated!
    Linda
    Old 07-01-2012, 06:19 PM
    Power Poster

I've always been able to remove jammed thread with a good pair of hemostats. If I couldn't get it all out with them, it would have to go to the repair shop.
    Old 07-01-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I've always been able to remove jammed thread with a good pair of hemostats. If I couldn't get it all out with them, it would have to go to the repair shop.
    I tried that with one end that was sticking out and it broke off instead of coming out. I'm afraid to tug too hard on the other end for fear of it breaking also. Thanks for your help, though!
    Old 07-01-2012, 06:38 PM

It happened to me at a quilt retreat. No more sewing and straight to the dealer to get it out. Good luck
    Old 07-01-2012, 07:17 PM

I had that happen to me. I oiled the thread down good, waited a while, then gently pulled on the thread while turning the wheel back and forth. Hope you can get it worked loose.
    Old 07-01-2012, 07:21 PM
    Power Poster

Can you get a better shot at the bobbin area from under the machine ? if you tilt it back ?
    Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 PM

Can you get a pair of snips in there, to cut the thread into smaller pieces? If you can, it might be easier to pull it out in sections, than in one long strand.
    Old 07-02-2012, 06:30 AM
    FLQ

Aaargh. I just had that happen with my featherweight. My wheel turns but that thread is really wedged in. I looked in my manual and there's a diagram of the bobbin holding assembly. I must admit that I'm a little afraid of removing those parts. If I can't get them reassembled..... I'm not within several hundred miles of a good sewing machine guy/gal.
    Old 07-02-2012, 06:33 AM

Instead of pulling the thread, try unwrapping it?
    Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 AM

Glenda M (above) and I solved your problem the same way. I don't know what it was about the oil and turning back-and-forth combined with gentle pressure that made it happen but everybody came unstuck literally and figuratively.

I keep a battery of metal tweezers in my sewing room. Two exceedingly long ones I picked up, believe it or not, at a gourmet food store. One which I could ruin and not get gray hair and wrinkles over. One that has a lovely and sturdy set of semi-pointed tips. And finally, the ones that, should they come to a nasty end, would be the cause of a great deal of woe. My recommendation is you kind of keep an eye out for various sorts of these things. Getting the right pressure at the right point with the right lubrication seems to be important.

Oh and then there is a surgical seam ripper. It looks as though it started out life to be used in surgery but it didn't quite make the required quality. It is more than plenty sharp to be used with threads and fabrics. I have had to get threads out of really small places and occasionally I have to cut, pull out a bit, cut some more. The tip on this ripper is tiny and slightly curved so you can actually get it in there and see it what you are doing and cut, all at the same time. What a concept! The ripper is exceedingly sharp - all the way to the tip of that point.

Sorry to be so loquacious but I hoped that I had some information that might be of help either now or in the future.

Have you figured out that I hate having anyone else's hands on my sewing equipment?

Peculiar Pat