Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • HELP: Vintage Sewing Machine for Denim >
  • HELP: Vintage Sewing Machine for Denim

• HELP: Vintage Sewing Machine for Denim

Old 07-24-2023, 01:05 PM

Exclamation HELP: Vintage Sewing Machine for Denim

Hi everyone! I'm a beginner sewer looking to buy a heavy duty sewing machine that can handle stitching together denim.

I've been looking at used sewing machines, but am not sure if they are good quality or easy for a beginner to use. Ideally I am looking for an investment that I can use until I'm older. If anyone has any other recommendations of newer machines around ~$250, that would also be great! The machines I found are listed below:
    • Singer 348 (vintage)
    • Singer HD110
    • Singer 248 (vintage)
    • Brother SQ9050
    • BROTHER Festival 431 (vintage)
    Old 07-24-2023, 01:28 PM
    Power Poster

My Singer 237 could sew up to 4 layers of heavyweight denim without complaining. Six layers with a little coaxing.

That was using a denim needle.

Singer 237 - 1960s era. Straight stitch and zigzag.

All machines need a heavier weight needle when sewing fabrics like denim.
    Old 07-24-2023, 01:38 PM

I'm not familiar with any of the machines you list. Here's a Youtuber doing a long term evaluation of a Singer HD44xx you might find useful:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4JleQTtu0j3tjY

He has other videos.

Here are a couple of people I find interesting regarding vintage sewing machines:
    https://www.youtube.com/@VintageSewingMachineGarage
    https://www.youtube.com/@BobFowlerWorkshop

And a video I watched the other day about exactly what you're doing, looking for a first machine. I thought the presenter did a nice job breaking it down:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAtj...ist=LL&index=6

"What machine should I buy?" is a big topic ...

EDIT: Bearisgray is right on point, I love the 237. Also, for a vintage machine, most of the old 158.xxx series Kenmores have an internal pulley reduction system that increases punching power. One of my go-to machines is just such a machine and it'll easily handle multiple layers of denim. (use a denim needle). There are pitfalls to buying a vintage machine because most of the time they've been idle for years and need a good spa day (or week) to get going again. On the plus side, they're almost always salvageable and usually cheap to free.

Last edited by AlZilla; 07-24-2023 at 01:44 PM.
    Old 07-24-2023, 01:47 PM

I totally understand that asking "what machine should I buy is" opens a can of worms I was just so sad when my current machine couldn't handle muslin/thick cotton for my first bucket hat project. As a student, I'm just worried about buying a machine that can't handle projects in the future. I remember someone telling me to look at vintage machines, but I'm also worried about upkeep and making sure I know how to fix/take care of them.
    Old 07-24-2023, 02:44 PM

I had a person buy some machines from me, and she tested each one of them. She had not used vintage machines for her work but when the motorized Singer 66 sewed through 6 layers of denim she was sold, and she bought 6 machines (3 66s).

You might want to consider one of the Kenmores with the pulley reduction system, i.e. there is an extra pulley between the motor and the hand wheel to basically give the machine extra power especially at slower speeds. I have found 158 series Kenmores having this but recently a 148 series machine also.

Correct gauge needle and correct weight thread are critical.
    Old 07-24-2023, 04:21 PM

If you can locate a vintage 6400 series Viking sewing machine from the 1970s in good working condition, it will sew over many, many layers without hesitation. I did a lot of sewing with multiple layers of heavy decorating and upholstery fabrics and was never disappointed. It is a heavy metal machine that doesn't slide around as you sew. The only drawback is that Viking parts are getting harder to find if you need to replace them as they aren't making repair parts any longer. I'd suggest finding an old-school repairman and tell him what you are looking for, he may have a good machine available in his stash that someone didn't want to pay to have repaired and now runs fine.
    Old 07-24-2023, 05:26 PM

I would caution, BeginnerSewer, that some older machines won't have zig zag and some won't have reverse. Generations of sewists lived and died never knowing the wonders of reverse or zig zag. But we have options today, even where vintage machines are concerned.
    Old 07-25-2023, 03:46 PM

I would recommend a Vintage Kenmore. They are serious workhorses. You want a model 158.___ They were made by Jaguar engineers, and are "bullet proof." You want one that has a low shank presser foot, so you can use any standard snap-on foot. You want one that has a front-loading bobbin, not the drop-in or side-loading bobbins. And you want one that has built-in stitches, not just cams.

I collect vintage Kenmores and Berninas. They are my favorites. I also have a couple Singers and a White rotary, etc.