Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • How did people make clothing on straight stitch only machines? >
  • How did people make clothing on straight stitch only machines?

• How did people make clothing on straight stitch only machines?

Old 04-11-2023, 07:16 AM
    Power Poster

In Home Ec class we made an outfit of A line skirt and vest. We used seam tape on the seams and hems. We also learned to make French seams. All the machines were straight stitch. Clothing seam allowance is 5/8 inch seams not 1/4 inch so not much raveling unless loose weave fabric.
    Old 04-11-2023, 08:32 AM

My Mom's 301 (her first electric sewing machine) was only straight stitch. But it had a buttonhole attachment (it was easily 2 inches wide by 4 or 5 inches long) that moved the fabric from side to side to create the zigzagged buttonholes. If I remember correctly, she could increase the stitch length to zigzag a seam.

Most every pattern was cut out with a pinking shears. I still use my pinking shears when working with flannelette. I don't remember her frenching any seams in garments, unless the item was meant to be reversible. Stay stitching and facings plus interfacing, helped necklines and armholes keep their shape. Sleeves were eased in as were the inseams in pants.
    Old 04-11-2023, 08:35 AM
    Power Poster

Ann Person made sewing knits at home possible with a straight stitch nachine with her " Stretch and Sew" method.
    Old 04-11-2023, 11:08 AM

Growing up in the 50's, I made all my clothes on a straight stitch machine. I did not pink or seam bind any of the seams & none of them frayed so much that they fell apart (remember, garments are sewn with a 5/8" seam...not a 1/4" seam). I have never owned a serger & have lived this long without needing one.