How do I stop the flaking???

Old 03-12-2015, 09:09 AM

Steve, you probably don't need to measure them now, as it seems the needles for a Jones Hand are indeed 29x3, and I had ordered the correct needle but in a remarkably big size. When you search 'Schmetz 29x3' you don't find all those Organ needles. The reference I had found stated Schmetz, so that's exactly what I looked for and those are more difficult to source. You find what you look for, I guess. I've used Organ needles, and they were fine. So I will get some Organ needles, as there are several sources on eBay. Jon, thank you for pointing that out!

It's nice, after all this, to know the needles are in current production and readily available, unlike for some of the other antique machines.

I'll PM you for the manual, Steve, thank you so much!

Dianne
Old 03-12-2015, 12:05 PM

No idea on the Gold paint flaking. I do know you can get Gold Paint and paint surfaces, and it works really good.
Mariah
Old 03-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mariah
No idea on the Gold paint flaking. I do know you can get Gold Paint and paint surfaces, and it works really good.
Mariah

I would strongly suggest not trying to repaint this old machine. it would virtually destroy what collector value it has
Old 03-12-2015, 01:02 PM

Steve is correct, please do not repaint the decals on this machine. It is a collectable and it will reduce the value of the machine greatly. In my tutorial I repainted gold on a Franklin but it is not a collectable just an old machine. Yes these old machines can be fun to make pretty but a true antigue the rule is don't do anything but clean and preserve.
Skip

Last edited by Glenn; 03-12-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:58 PM

The gold on this machine will not be repainted. I can't imagine being steady enough to do a decent job.....and it just wouldn't look right. If all the gold on the base eventually falls off, well, I guess that's the way it is! There is more gold adhering to the back of the base, and hopefully it will last. I will gently oil it, see how that goes. Probably wax or 'show car glaze' would be too rough on the surface to apply and rub off.

Hopefully cleaning and such will be done sometime next week, so I can see how it sews!

Here is a tentative dating chart for Jones machines. The SN on mine is 99763.
http://www.sewingdownmemorylane.com/...erorJones.aspx

Everyone on QB is so wonderfully helpful and polite, even when I've made silly mistakes or suggestions are vetoed. Thank you, guys, for caring so much!

Dianne
Old 03-12-2015, 03:14 PM
Banned

mine is 58620