Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • How much should this Rey Eye (66) cost ? >
  • How much should this Rey Eye (66) cost ?

• How much should this Rey Eye (66) cost ?

Old 12-10-2013, 01:39 PM

vmaniqui,

I checked on Sew-Classic's site and the top tension, spring, and spool peg won't cost more than about $11.00. The motors and wiring set up are relatively inexpensive as well.

There is no reason to remove the motor for storage, so I'm betting they are giving you a song and dance about that.

But, and this is just my opinion, since that machine has such nice decals with no or minimal rust, I'd be willing to go for it. I'd try to talk them down on the price, but it's worth the effort in my opinion.

Joe
    Old 12-10-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller
    vmaniqui,

I checked on Sew-Classic's site and the top tension, spring, and spool peg won't cost more than about $11.00. The motors and wiring set up are relatively inexpensive as well.

There is no reason to remove the motor for storage, so I'm betting they are giving you a song and dance about that.

But, and this is just my opinion, since that machine has such nice decals with no or minimal rust, I'd be willing to go for it. I'd try to talk them down on the price, but it's worth the effort in my opinion.

Joe
    joe,

you've got me thinking there buddy. that is what i am thinking also. you never remove the motor to store it and it ha it's own case. i will try to haggle some more and see how it goes. i will do the 'it's missing some critical parts' bargaining. i texted the seller and asked if they ever find the motor to let me know ASAP. thanks.
    Old 12-10-2013, 07:09 PM

I paid $40 for a beautiful Red Eye with the portable case and it sews. I do live in a highly populated area that has sewing machines very cheap however.
    Old 12-11-2013, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui
    but sometimes it's not enough.
    I bit down hard recently and sold all but one of my 201s and most of my 66s. You definitely need at least one 201 though: Just for that job the others can't do
    Old 12-11-2013, 07:15 AM

If I'm selling, it should go for $200, if I'm buying, then it's only worth $20.
    Old 12-11-2013, 07:20 AM
    Power Poster

Depending on what else comes with it but seeing that the cabinets are included. I would say absolutely worth it. I'm basing on what I've seen in my area. ($450)
    Old 12-11-2013, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui
    joe,

you've got me thinking there buddy. that is what i am thinking also. you never remove the motor to store it and it ha it's own case. i will try to haggle some more and see how it goes. i will do the 'it's missing some critical parts' bargaining. i texted the seller and asked if they ever find the motor to let me know ASAP. thanks.
    My opinion only; if I think someone is lying on purpose, I will not buy from them, no matter what the bargain.

That said, maybe there never was a motor; could it have been a treadle, and the belt is missing, and the seller knows little enough about machines that s/he filled in the blanks, memory-wise, with "There must be a motor, but it is not here, so it must have been taken off...?" That is possible, that s/he is not purposely lying.

You could say, perhaps, that you will buy the machine, minus $25 (or make your own sum), and if/when s/he finds the motor in storage, you promise to buy it for $25.

That way, all bases are covered. And really, you kinda know there is no motor in storage which will ever be found...
    Old 12-11-2013, 08:24 AM
    Power Poster

It could well have had a motor like this and yes you might take it off - only one screw to the motor boss:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]451331[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]451332[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails singer-11-16-motor-008.jpg   singer-11-16-motor-009.jpg  
    Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo
    I think the Spartan is a pretty nifty little machine. only 3/4 size but does a beautfiul straight stitch. is easy to maintain for yourself too. I have one and love it.
    I also like the Spartan. I've never seen one in a cabinet. For $30 I'd chance it. So far I've not been bitten by the Red Eye or 221 bug. But, the Spartan I have is a jewel - a great little sister to your 201.
    Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Geeze for $45.00, I'd buy it and turn it into a treadle or hand crank. I have a 66 treadle and love it