Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • How often do you oil your 100+ treadle? >
  • How often do you oil your 100+ treadle?

• How often do you oil your 100+ treadle?

Old 10-09-2014, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by juneayerza
    Is there a web site that anyone knows about that will show you where you have to oil. I have a white treadle that was my mother-in-laws that has probably set for forty years without being used or oiled. I want to play with it but have no idea where to oil it.
    Oiling isn't that hard. The one rule is to make sure all surfaces that rub against other surfaces get one add a single drop of oil to each. There are four areas to consider: Needle plate area, bobbin area, top (shaft) area and the rear (usually behind an inspection plate).
    Don't try to run it with the motor/treadle until it's fairly free by hand.
    Old 10-09-2014, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by juneayerza
    Is there a web site that anyone knows about that will show you where you have to oil. I have a white treadle that was my mother-in-laws that has probably set for forty years without being used or oiled. I want to play with it but have no idea where to oil it.
    All of this information is in the owners manual. Most machine manuals are available one place or another on the internet, it's just a matter of finding it.
    Rule of thumb is to oil any holes that do not have threads in them, and anything underneath that has a small hole in it, or any place where metal to metal movement occurs.

Joe
    Old 10-09-2014, 03:09 AM

This should help if it's a White Rotary.
    http://ismacs.net/white/manuals/white-rotary.pdf
    ISMACS is a huge resource for me for non-Singer manuals.
    Rodney
    Old 10-09-2014, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller
    oil any holes that do not have threads in them
    Do we have to clarify what sort of threads you mean Joe?
    Old 10-09-2014, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike
    Do we have to clarify what sort of threads you mean Joe?
    OK, how about this: Oil any holes that are not threaded for some sort of fastener.

Joe
    Old 10-09-2014, 07:17 AM
    Power Poster

I have to really great sons who have given me 4 DGDs. 3blood and one "step". My youngest married a woman with a child from a previous relationship. As soon as he met the little girl he knew she was going to be his. When we found out they were going to get married, I said Ok as soon as you have the next baby then we will have 4 DGDs. That little girl who became a member of the family by marriage is still my "Granddaughter" even though my son and her mother are divorced now. All 4 are blessings to me. She calls my son her dad and he calls her his daughter. He would like to adopt her but her father who she never sees will not sign off on parental rights. A requisite in the state of Michigan. He knows he would have to pay support. He buys for his girls. She says she'll wait til she can legally change her name when she turns 18. I am the "Proud Grandmother of 4 DGDs." She calls me every other week sometimes more often. When they get together once a month, as soon as she gets in the car, I get a phone call. All my girls are blessings. Just wish I got to see them more often but I'll take the "I love you!" over the phone too.
    Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz
    Folks, I, too believe that children are a real blessing. My husband and I were only gifted with one son, and he's so much like his Dad, it's unbelievable. My oldest sister's oldest daughter is adopted, but she's my niece just as surely as any of my other nieces (and nephews, too, of course). My oldest sister has a son and a daughter, both adopted, and they are just as precious to me as any of my other nieces or nephews. It must pass down in the family, because one of my nephews adopted three (YES, THREE) siblings because they didn't want to separate the brothers and a sister. Then, my nephew and his wife had two of their own! Large family! But, all of them are so precious to me! So, yes, we all used to sing Tennessee Ernie Ford's "Shotgun Buggie" a lot! LOL

Jeanette
    Old 10-09-2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by yobrosew
    Do you oil everytime you go to sew? If you sew only every 3-4 days? Use it every day? Machine and treadle each time? Can you ever oil too much?
    I oil my machines and treadle stands whenever they tell me to.....

When things start getting sluggish or noisy, it’s time to give them a drink of oil. Like today, when I was mending a pair of denim jeans using my MUTT treadle and my Singer 319W. My treadle got to clanking and after a while I thought my right foot was going to fall off from the pain in my ankle (I use only one foot to treadle).

I found some slack in the cone bearings on the flywheel, so I grabbed a wrench and screwdriver to tighten them up just a bit, then gave the treadle parts all a little drink of sewing machine oil.

Things went much better after that, but I’m still going to tell my wife that treadle problems were the reason that I didn’t get much done today while she was gone....

CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Thumbnails imag0089.jpg  
    Old 10-09-2014, 10:29 AM

Thanks everyone for the information regarding where to oil.
    Old 10-09-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by yobrosew
    Thank you for the specific time -- 8 hours of sewing.
    I agree with that. I have treadles over a hundred years old and, once properly oiled, lubricated and cleaned, I oil about every 8 hours of sewing. I also do that with every machine that allows it. (I don't have Pfaff or Bernina tools.)

And like Joe said, use exactly one drop of SEWING MACHINE every place metal meets metal - but only grease on the gears. No 3-in-1, no WD40, etc.

Cricket
    Old 10-09-2014, 01:47 PM
    Banned

One comment. The oil serves two functions, one is to provide lubrication, the other is to act as a rust barrier.

If it is a machine that i use regularly then I oil it AFTER I am done so it will be protected and ready to go next time. Also gives any excess oil time to travel...

If I do not use the machine regularly I give a light oil (one drop per) before and after.