• Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • How to open a Singer light fixture >
  • How to open a Singer light fixture

• How to open a Singer light fixture

Old 05-01-2014, 12:05 PM

Default How to open a Singer light fixture

Go!

Ok seriously..umm..any advice? It's an older round style bakelite fixture. The lens is gone and the wiring is bad. I need to get it open to re-wire it. It has 2 black firm wires to hold it together. I got the larger one off but the smaller one is a pain. I am worried I will shatter the fixture so am looking for any hints, tips, or tricks here.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 04:23 AM. Reason: language
    Old 05-01-2014, 12:09 PM
    Banned

really really.... Pictures help a LOT. If you do not include them, only the folks who have physically seen one could help. If you post pics, many of us can help...

I would guess that there are screws on the inside (when viewed from the bulb's point of view) that secure it to the housing.

Starting in the 50-60's many manufactures started trying to design devices to not show any connections. (it helps make folks think they need special stuff to fix them)
    Old 05-01-2014, 12:22 PM

Christy,

I think I know the one you are talking about. That 'wire ' acts like a clip. I made a tool to open it enough to slip over the buldge at the small end of the housing. Even with this tool, I have at times chipped the Bakelite housing. Bakelite is fragile and brittle. Take it very carefully.

The tool is a hemostat that opens when squeezed, instead of closing. I ground the insides of the tips so they would grab and spread the ends of the clip.

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew
    Go!

Ok seriously..umm..any advice? It's an older round style bakelite fixture. The lens is gone and the wiring is bad. I need to get it open to re-wire it. It has 2 black firm wires to hold it together. I got the larger one off but the smaller one is a pain. I am worried I will shatter the fixture so am looking for any hints, tips, or tricks here.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 04:24 AM. Reason: language in quote
    Old 05-01-2014, 12:25 PM

Sort of need pictures with this - as Singer used several styles of lights over the years. I think you are talking about the larger one with the two black flat metal spring clips that hold it together. But I've got at least two other styles of bakelight lights on my Singers - along with all the different metal ones
    Old 05-01-2014, 12:27 PM

I thought I could rewire a New Home light but unless you have solder iron that's just right for the job, it could be a big mess. I'm ready to ship it off to anyone who volunteers to fix it. Best of luck!!!
    Old 05-01-2014, 12:31 PM

You have assessed the situation correctly, the small one is a pain. I use a newer Stainless pocket knife to get under and very carefully pry off the little ring without stabbing hand or slicing thumb. Then separate the halves and take pictures so you can desolder and solder everything to original shape. I stretch the small ring with O Ring pliers a little to get it back on. I've never enjoyed rewiring the "Singer lamps" and safety glasses are a good idea in case of flying ring or part of knife blade. Be careful.

Jon

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 04:24 AM. Reason: language
    Old 05-01-2014, 12:45 PM

Point taken. This is the fixture. I've removed the larger ring and tied a string under the smaller to try and keep from loosing ground.

Ok so it sounds like from those of you who have done this I am using the appropriate tools and taking the appropriate precautions. I was just hoping for a miracle tip! Maybe grease would help??
    Attached Thumbnails dsc_1040-640-x-426-.jpg  
    Old 05-01-2014, 12:47 PM
    Power Poster

HMM go shopping: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/
    Old 05-01-2014, 01:39 PM

Cute! For now problem avoided. I decided I could live with shrink tape insulation over the crack easier than I could live with a broken fixture. Now on to cleaning the motor.