I am do dissapointed.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

The man just had no idea of what such machines are worth, or of how many of them are out there. Watch your local Craigslist... and stop at yard sales.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
Walking away was the right thing to do.
After some expensive mistakes, I learned this lesson.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:59 AM

I have a15-91 that I bought at an estate sale for $60. It is in a cabinet, perfect condition, all the attachments, booklets everything you could want. Please don't get discouraged, there are more out there like mine and it will just take some time and luck to find one. This "antique" business the guy was trying to sell you on is silly. There are those who think just because it is old it is worth something. Pass up the broken down hopeless machines as there are the nice, well kept ones to be had.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:54 AM

This "antique" business the guy was trying to sell you on is silly. There are those who think just because it is old it is worth something. P
Or...hoarders should not run "Pawn Shops" :-)
Old 10-10-2013, 05:54 PM

Don't get in a hurry wait till you find the one that really makes you smile if you buy one just because you want a vintage you'll regret the purchase
Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 PM

I agree!
My friend found a featherweight in pristine condition for $40 at a yard sale........you will find what you want for the price you want to pay.
Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Apparently he thinks "antiques" = $$$. A serious antiquer doesn't want a broken down piece. I doubt he'll get what he's asking for those machines. Keep looking. You'll find find a machine for the right price.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:39 PM

Just enjoy the thought that when he is an antique those machines will still be sitting on those shelves gathering dust...
Old 10-11-2013, 03:58 AM

Don't despair - and keep looking.......I found a Singer 15-91, in a cabinet, with attachments and owner manual for $50.00 at a local Lutheran Mission Shop ( like Goodwill or Salvation Army but run by the Lutheran Church )...in great working order - with sticker from the sew and vac shop that last serviced the machine! Cabinet is a bit rough, but the machine sews beautifully! Need to find some bobbins tho - any suggestions where to look?
Old 10-11-2013, 07:10 AM

Keep looking, the yard salers who are getting rid of mom's stuff are the best ones to go to--kids just do not realize what they are selling--they are just cleaning out the junk (so to speak); and you'll be the lucky one. And to top that off, one of those "kids" might come to your house one day in the far fetched future, and you can say "come look what I found at a yard sale a long time ago" and watch their eyes get big at what you've done with their "junk".....
Old 10-13-2013, 02:13 PM

Go to shopgoodwill.com I have bought about 10 machines from there. It's an auction type of deal but you can get what you're looking for. I bought my first 221 from there and only paid $126.00 for it.. Recently bought another 221 on Ebay for $90.00. Just a little cleaning and oiling on the first one and I use it as my travel machine. The one from Ebay will be my first restoration project. It sews but, needs to be restored. You'll find the machine that is waiting for you, just be patient.