I am having no luck....

Old 10-21-2012, 05:39 AM

Default I am having no luck....

I am having no luck in getting my Singer 99's top thread tension to adjust. No matter what I do the top threads lay across the top of the fabric. The bottom tension seems to be good even tho the tension doesn't seem to change when I try and change that either.But the stitches do look good.

I can see the length changes when I turn the one dial for changing length...so that works. The bottom stitches look nice but since I can't regulate the top threads I don't know if the bottom tread tension is too tight or not since it doesn't seem to change no matter what I do. The fabric puckers a little no matter what I turn to loosen or tighten.

Do you have any ideas as to what I should do or try next? Thanks so much.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:50 AM

If the tension on the needle thread is too tight, or if that on the bobbin thread is too loose, the needle thread will lie straight along the upper surface of the material.

Pull the bobbin case, put a full bobbin of 50 wt mercerized cotton thread in if you can find it, or something similar then gently pull on the thread. You should feel the thread coming out of the bobbin. If you don't it's too loose. One source says to attache a 1 OZ weight to the bobbin thread and adjust it till the bobbin tension will just hold that weight. Then put the bobbin in and work with the top tension.

Have you gone to the TFSR site and read their excellent instructions on tension problems and fixes? It's more than worth the time.
http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual

Joe
Old 10-21-2012, 06:06 AM

nygal - if you just pull on the upper thread is there any tension at all? If not, can you tighten the mechanism down to where there is some? I'm wondering if the tension disks aren't assembled properly and tightening it down isn't actually pressing the disks together.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH
nygal - if you just pull on the upper thread is there any tension at all? If not, can you tighten the mechanism down to where there is some? I'm wondering if the tension disks aren't assembled properly and tightening it down isn't actually pressing the disks together.
pinkCastleDH, Yes, there is tension on the upper thread. The disk do move in and out depending on if I turn it right or left.

J Miller I will try out the things you suggested. Thank you for that link!!!

Last edited by nygal; 10-21-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:42 AM

Hi,

Rethread everything
Reread instruction manual on threading
9 times out of 10 its something ridiculously simple or just needs a basic cleaning and oiling

Jon
Old 10-21-2012, 07:44 PM

On the off chance that there might be lint in the bobbin case, I turned the screw until it was very loose, got a flashlight and shined it onto the bobbin case, there was lint under the little tension flap [?]. When I removed it [the lint] my machine sewed beautifully.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 AM

Have you taken the tension assembly apart? On one of my old babies, someone had put the two disks "spooned" together, instead of facing each other. It was a real problem because the thread couldn't get between them properly. Now she sews beautifully!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:49 AM

Good point MimiBug...I hadn't thought of that. Can't wait to hear what the solution is.

Barb
Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 AM

Have you tried tightening the tiny screw on the bobbin? Please tighten in small increments. This "fix" helped me with a tension problem with my Japan clone of the 15-99.
Attached Thumbnails cleaned.jpg  
Old 10-27-2012, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by TGood
Have you tried tightening the tiny screw on the bobbin? Please tighten in small increments. This "fix" helped me with a tension problem with my Japan clone of the 15-99.
YEA...I now have great stitches on the top and bottom. I did have to tighten that tiny screw on the bobbin and it fixed it for me!!! Thank you everyone for you suggestions.